Engineers who are unable to find work

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Metta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: You need to make your own opportunities. In summary, the three friends who have graduated from engineering schools and are unable to find work may have a variety of reasons for their lack of success, but most likely it is not due to incompetence.
Metta
I have 3 friends 2 are civil engineers, and one is Electrical engineer. They've graduated 2 years ago and they are unable to land a job. I don't know their personal stories or GPAs but I know they've graduated and I think it is a bit strange that people in such fields as engineering where most people do not venture into, would have so much difficulties finding a job. What could be the cause of this? Let's ignore the possibility of incompetence on their side.

Physics news on Phys.org
only reason i can think of is that there are simply too many graduates

Metta said:
I have 3 friends 2 are civil engineers, and one is Electrical engineer. They've graduated 2 years ago and they are unable to land a job. I don't know their personal stories or GPAs but I know they've graduated and I think it is a bit strange that people in such fields as engineering where most people do not venture into, would have so much difficulties finding a job.

What could be the cause of this? Let's ignore the possibility of incompetence on their side.

Where are they located geographically? They may need to broaden their acceptable living geographies a bit. And we can't ignore their levels of accomplishment -- they need to be able to test well in interviews and show some achievements in order to help their hiring prospects.

When the economy was in the tank, engineering job hiring here locally was limited to very accomplished folks for the most part. With the upturn in the economy lately, most competent engineers that I know are able to find work fairly soon. (I'm in Silicon Valley and mostly talking about EEs and MEs).

Could be any number of reasons. Could be self-limiting behavior (only interested in certain types of jobs, or jobs in certain cities, certain industries, etc.), could be lack of internship experience as an undergrad, could be lower GPA, could be bad job interview skills, bad social skills, body odor, bad breath, drug test failure, etc.

Statistically speaking, your employment prospects *are* better as an engineer but that isn't a guarantee of employment. Nothing is a guarantee of employment.

I can offer a few potential explanations for why these engineers may be having difficulty finding work.

Firstly, the job market for engineers can be highly competitive, particularly in certain fields and locations. It is possible that there simply may not be enough job openings for the number of graduates in these specific engineering fields. Additionally, the job market can fluctuate and may not always align with the number of graduates in a given year.

Another factor to consider is the current state of the economy. During times of economic downturn, companies may be less likely to hire new employees, including recent graduates. This could be a contributing factor to your friends' difficulties in finding work.

Additionally, it is important to note that engineering is a broad field with many different sub-disciplines. It is possible that your friends may be struggling to find work in a specific sub-discipline that is not in high demand at the moment. This could be due to changes in technology or shifts in industry needs.

Finally, it is also important to consider that there may be other factors at play in your friends' job search. This could include factors such as location, networking, and the overall quality of their job applications.

Overall, it is difficult to pinpoint one specific cause for your friends' difficulties in finding work without more information. However, it is not uncommon for engineers, like any other profession, to face challenges in finding employment. It is important for them to continue networking, gaining experience, and staying up-to-date on industry developments to increase their chances of finding a job.

Related to Engineers who are unable to find work

1. Why are engineers struggling to find work?

There are a variety of potential reasons for this, including a lack of job openings in certain fields, oversaturation of the job market, and companies cutting back on hiring due to economic factors.

2. Are certain types of engineers more affected by unemployment?

Yes, some fields of engineering may have higher rates of unemployment due to changes in technology or shifts in industries. For example, mechanical and civil engineers may have more difficulty finding work compared to software or biomedical engineers.

3. What should engineers do if they can't find work?

One option is to expand their job search to different industries or locations. They can also consider acquiring additional skills or certifications to make themselves more marketable. It may also be helpful to network and make connections in the field.

4. How can companies help decrease unemployment among engineers?

Companies can invest in training and development programs for engineers, create more internship and entry-level positions, and actively seek out diverse candidates. They can also collaborate with universities and industry organizations to better understand the job market and develop strategies to address unemployment.

5. Is there a long-term solution to this issue?

The long-term solution to this issue involves addressing the underlying factors contributing to unemployment among engineers, such as changes in technology and market demands. This can be achieved through collaboration between industry, government, and educational institutions to anticipate and adapt to these changes.