English Conversation Partner Wanted - Chinese Student Preparing for TOEFL

• Thread starter GreenApple
  • Start date
In summary: You should say something like: "[...] in which I watched God Father,all three."In summary, GreenApple is a Chinese student who is seeking people to talk to in English. He is not a boring guy and says that he likes the forum because it always provides what he wants. He also says that he has been studying English for many years, but he needs to use it in the "daly life" to improve. He also says that he watches Friends at English classes and struggles to understand expressions. Lastly, he says that he is from Israel and that life there is similar to other western countries.
Now there's a question even English-speaking people can't allways answer! Truthfully, either of those responses would be fine. The important thing is that you don't just say "yes" or "no", as either of these answers would still leave your meaning unclear. "Yes" could mean "yes, I'll open the door" or "yes, I would mind". "No" could mean either, "No, I don't mind", or "No, I won't open the door".

By the way, the question needs a subject, "Would you mind...". Sometimes in English the word "you" is not needed because it is strongly implied (called an "understood you"), but this sentence is not one of those times.

May I say, you're doing great so far. In your shorter posts, I would not have known that English was not your first language if you hadn't told us.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am always gratefull for all your help.

I got this sentence from a dictionary:
Clarke says his team could have lasted another 15 days before fatigue would have begun to take a toll.
I am just wondering why it was not this sentence :
Clarke says his team could last another 15 days before fatigue would begin to take a toll.

The two sentences talk about an event at different time periods. The first sentence says "could have lasted" and "would have begun," showing that the event happened in the past and is no longer occurring.

If you were to say "could last" and "would begin," there is the idea that the event is still occurring.