Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

English/technical writing help

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    Does this sentence make sense and is there a better way to say it?

"Digital I/O modules have a variety of operating voltage range. "

what i'm trying to say is that there are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sounds pretty good. You might try saying "various digital I/O modules" instead of "different."

Your original attempt is not even grammatically correct. At the very least, you should have "ranges". But it's still confusing, even when you correct the grammar.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    It seems that if you have to state it more clearly separately so we understand what you mean, the original sentence should just be replaced by the clarified sentence, i.e.:

"There are different digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range rating."

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4
    A pet hate of mine is using the same word twice in a sentence ('different' in this case). How about:

"There are a variety of digital IO modules and each has a different operating voltage range."

"Digital IO modules can operate over different voltage ranges."

To be honest, I don't even like the word different for technical writing, it's really vague. I don't have the full context here, but how about a word like 'distinct'. It sounds smart.

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    You have an error here. See what it is?

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6
    'are' should be 'is' I think.

8. Feb 18, 2012 #7
    Yup.

9. Feb 19, 2012 #8
    I got another question.

Is there another way to rewrite this sentence?
    "The voltage range of the analog signal to be received by the analog input channel must be within the analog input channel operating voltage range rating."

10. Feb 19, 2012 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"The analog channel's input voltage range must be observed."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook