Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy

• Thread starter Henrik Elmer
  • Start date
In summary, exploring science as an amateur involves sharing ideas and incorporating elements of comedy. This allows individuals to engage with complex scientific concepts in a more accessible and entertaining manner. By using humor, amateurs can make science more relatable and enjoyable for a wider audience, promoting a better understanding and appreciation for the subject. Additionally, sharing ideas with other amateurs allows for a collaborative and inclusive approach to learning and exploring science. Overall, incorporating comedy and fostering a community of idea-sharing can make science more engaging and accessible for amateurs.
Henrik Elmer
Hello, I became a member a while ago because I'm interested in these things. I have no higher education in the field, but at least I got the highest grade in physics in school. (At the age of 15, so not worth much today of course...)

I have a couple of strange ideas that I might ask if someone with more knowledge would like to comment on. But that will be in other threads. If it's not too much of an annoyance. I know there are plenty of amateurs who think they've thought of something clever. ;)

On a different note: Here's a clip of me doing stand-up comedy. This clip isn't official so please don't spread it. Let's see if I can trust you on this. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Henrik Elmer said:
I have a couple of strange ideas that I might ask if someone with more knowledge would like to comment on. But that will be in other threads. [/MEDIA]
Best read the rules carefully first. No personal speculation.

EDIT: I enjoyed your comedy (mostly). You have a very inventive mind. Somewhat remniscent of Stephen Wright. Too bad the sound quality was poor on that clip. I couldn't understand some of what you said.

How long have you been doing standup?

Last edited:
Welcome to PF Henrik

Curiosity and inquisitiveness are welcome, but please keep this in mind.

Our goal is to provide a community for people (whether students, professional scientists, or hobbyists) to learn and discuss science as it is currently generally understood and practiced by the professional scientific community.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/about-physics-forums/

For listening to the video, 6db cut at 400Hz and lower, along with a 4db boost at 600Hz thru 3kHz helps a lot.

Thank you, didn't read the replies until now. I've been doing stand-up for about twenty years. So I guess it's a bit of a fail that I'm not a star by now. ;)

Steven Wright has inspired me a lot, especially in my first stand-up years. Also Emo Philips. I did mostly short jokes (kind of oneliners) in the beginning. Later I have moved into longer, surreal stories with (hopefully) surprising twists, mixed with short jokes. Another inspiration is Eddie Izzard, whom I have had the pleasure to meet a few times. :) Also Monty Python. (Not a very original source of inspiration in my generation.) And many, many others.

Glad you (mostly) liked my comedy. My biggest weakness is I'm a slow writer. I think I have a bit of writer's block. :(

Ok, I have noticed the rule regarding personal speculation. Hm, was hoping to get some comments on my crazy ideas. Maybe this is not the forum for that then. But it's still interesting to be here and follow the discussions. :)

Henrik Elmer said:
Ok, I have noticed the rule regarding personal speculation. Hm, was hoping to get some comments on my crazy ideas. Maybe this is not the forum for that then. But it's still interesting to be here and follow the discussions. :)
But what's the point of pursuing your "crazy ideas" AS serious physics if in fact they are not physics at all but just output from your inventive mind? That is, to the extent that your ideas are actual physics, this is a great place to learn more about how things work, and if they are not actual physics, what's the point?

The ideas I'm having are ideas that I thought maybe, just maybe, someone with more knowledge and resources might find it worth considering on a deeper level, so to speak. So to me, these ideas are not "just crazy" although I realize they might sound crazy. In my mind, they could have something of value. Most likely not (of course), but then at least someone with more knowledge would be able to rule them out rather quickly for reasons I wasn't aware of or didn't think of myself. But I'm a bit afraid to annoy professionals who are having professional discussions and who are tired of hearing crazy ideas from people who thought they were clever. So it's not like I've written a crazy comedy monologue about physics. That's not what I meant.

Henrik Elmer said:
The ideas I'm having are ideas that I thought maybe, just maybe, someone with more knowledge and resources might find it worth considering on a deeper level, so to speak. So to me, these ideas are not "just crazy" although I realize they might sound crazy. In my mind, they could have something of value. Most likely not (of course), but then at least someone with more knowledge would be able to rule them out rather quickly for reasons I wasn't aware of or didn't think of myself. But I'm a bit afraid to annoy professionals who are having professional discussions and who are tired of hearing crazy ideas from people who thought they were clever. So it's not like I've written a crazy comedy monologue about physics. That's not what I meant.
Well, the only way I can think of that would make sense here on this forum would be if you can identify where your ideas deviate from mainstream physics and ask why, or better yet, ask about the fundamental physics behind your idea and make sure you understand THAT before you ask your question.

Likes Tom.G
The OP question has been adequately answered.

Thread closed.

1. What is "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy"?

"Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy" is a platform for amateur scientists to share their ideas and discoveries in a fun and comedic way. It aims to make science more accessible and entertaining for a wider audience.

2. Who can participate in "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy"?

Anyone with an interest in science and a sense of humor can participate in "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy". You don't need to be a professional scientist to contribute your ideas and comedic take on scientific topics.

3. How can I submit my ideas for "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy"?

You can submit your ideas through our website or social media platforms. We encourage creativity and originality, so feel free to use any format such as videos, memes, or written articles to share your ideas.

4. Are there any guidelines for submissions to "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy"?

We ask that all submissions are respectful and appropriate for all ages. We also prefer submissions to be based on factual information and not spread misinformation. Other than that, let your creativity and humor shine!

5. How can I support "Exploring Science as an Amateur: Sharing Ideas and Comedy"?

You can support us by sharing our content, submitting your own ideas, and engaging with our community. We also have merchandise available for purchase to help fund our platform. Your support helps us continue to make science fun and accessible for all.