Are There Legal Risks in Doing Engineering Side Work Without a License?

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, a person with a BS in computer engineering was asked by a small company to engineer an electrical/computer related product. They were concerned about legal implications and not having a business or FE/PE license. They were advised to make sure they are not held liable and consider consulting a lawyer. Other individuals suggested incorporating or consulting a lawyer for liability protection. The discussion also touched on starting a small company for engineering electronics for automotive and the importance of understanding local laws and seeking legal advice.
david90
A small company asked me to engineer a product for them. It's a electrical/computer related product.

Will there be any legal implication if I do it for them because I don't legally own a business. I don't even have FE or PE license. I just a guy with a BS in computer engr.. I don't want to start my own business right now. Ideally I just want to do some sidework to supplement my income.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
david90 said:
A small company asked me to engineer a product for them. It's a electrical/computer related product.

Will there be any legal implication if I do it for them because I don't legally own a business. I don't even have FE or PE license. I just a guy with a BS in computer engr.. I don't want to start my own business right now. Ideally I just want to do some sidework to supplement my income.:smile:

Doing side work is cheating on reputable compananies, it is cheap enough to
start your own (legal) company, but if you want to (cheat the system) go ahead and be a Dell boy, i am sure the irs will not notice.:smile: i would do it in a heart beat, but i know i would be caught.

You don't need the FE or PE to do freelance work.

The product liability is usually covered by the company producing the product. In the US liability rests on the company and not on the employees unless serious negligence can be proven. In your situation, I think it would depend on how you sell your design. I would think that for the sale you should have some kind of paperwork drawn up that obsolves you of liability issues once the company relieves you of the design. As the designer, it is your responsibility to make sure that public safety is maintained as far as you can in the design, i.e. materials selection, toxicity, etc...What the company does with it after that is out of your control.

Just make sure with the company before you sign anything that you are covered. If you are truly worried, drop a hundred bucks and have a lawyer look it over.

Anyone can be self-employed. They'll pay you with a 1099 and you just fill out a Schedule C on your tax return. You don't need to be incorporated.

Like Fred said, though, just make sure you know what you are signing. If they give you an ugly looking contract, have a lawyer look over it.

David, I'd recommend talking to a lawyer even without liability issues. You should be clear in advance about the renumeration schedule. If it's just some little doodad with a single purpose for the company, then a single flat payment is appropriate. On the other hand, it might be something that they can make a lot of money from, such as an industry-altering modification to existing equipment or a brand new product. In that case, you should consider asking for a percentage of whatever profit is generated. Alternatively, you could patent the process or product and license the client to use it. An attorney can advise you as to which approach is in your best interest. It's worth a few bucks to be sure.

FredGarvin said:
You don't need the FE or PE to do freelance work.

The product liability is usually covered by the company producing the product. In the US liability rests on the company and not on the employees unless serious negligence can be proven. In your situation, I think it would depend on how you sell your design. I would think that for the sale you should have some kind of paperwork drawn up that obsolves you of liability issues once the company relieves you of the design. As the designer, it is your responsibility to make sure that public safety is maintained as far as you can in the design, i.e. materials selection, toxicity, etc...What the company does with it after that is out of your control.

Just make sure with the company before you sign anything that you are covered. If you are truly worried, drop a hundred bucks and have a lawyer look it over.

Would you need FE and PE if you want to start a small company that engineer electronics for automotive ?

State and/or local laws may, and most likely do require that you file for a business license.

Depending on the situation, what can matter when people start suing people is who gets sued, not what the contract says. A contract between you and your customer is not an agreement between you and their customer. If they get sued, you could still be named. There is no such thing as liability free work when you're on your own.

david90 said:
Would you need FE and PE if you want to start a small company that engineer electronics for automotive ?

Use the word "engineering", and not "Engineer", and you can avoid many problems, but this can be a risky business.

I would like to know more about this topic. I am studying engineering myself and would like to be an entrepreneur when I graduate. Would there be also some of this legal documentation freely available on the net as samples?

The laws vary from State to State. The best way that I know to learn the local laws is to see a good lawyer. You might also seek out entrepreneurs in your area: Attend meetings, network, work for a company that does something that you would like to do - seek out an internship - and in general, find ways to learn what you want to know, and how to do what you wish, from the people who are doing it.

Last edited:

FAQ: Are There Legal Risks in Doing Engineering Side Work Without a License?

1. What is an entrepreneur?

An entrepreneur is an individual who starts and runs their own business venture, typically with the goal of making a profit. Entrepreneurs are often innovative and risk-takers, as they are responsible for the success or failure of their business.

2. What is the process of selling a product as an entrepreneur?

The process of selling a product as an entrepreneur typically involves market research, product development and testing, branding and marketing, and finally, selling the product to customers. It's important for entrepreneurs to understand their target market and competition in order to effectively sell their product.

3. How do entrepreneurs determine the price of their product?

Entrepreneurs must consider several factors when determining the price of their product, including production costs, competition, and perceived value by customers. It's important to strike a balance between making a profit and offering a competitive price in the market.

4. What are some challenges entrepreneurs face when selling a product?

Entrepreneurs may face challenges such as finding investors or funding, building a customer base, managing cash flow, and competing with established businesses. They must also be prepared to handle setbacks and adapt to changes in the market.

5. How can entrepreneurs ensure the success of their product?

To ensure the success of their product, entrepreneurs should conduct thorough market research, create a strong brand and marketing strategy, and continuously gather and analyze feedback from customers. They should also be willing to make changes and improvements to their product to meet the needs and preferences of their target market.