1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy and Black Hole Temperature

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a previous problem I had to find the entropy of a black hole where I ended with this:

[itex]S_{BH}=\frac{8 \pi^2 G M^2 k}{h c}[/itex]

Now I am to find the temp, given the energy of a black hole is mc2.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]T=(\frac{\partial S}{\partial u})^{-1}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Originally I was stumped on how to start and in the process of google'ing different things, I accidentally ran across the solution. Since I can't undo my mistake, I would like to understand how some of this solution works.

I understand in order to get the temperature, I need to take the partail of S with respect to U. In my original black hole entropy, I can't do this since there is no U term to differentiate. However, I do have the energy is = mc2 or U=mc2.

Now I suppose I could substite that in for M2 and get my U term, but the solution I saw showed something different and that is where I am confused.

They split the partial derivative into two parts.

[itex] \frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial M} \cdot \frac{\partial M}{\partial U}[/itex]

So to get my T equation, we take the partial of the original equation with respect to M and then the partial of M with respect to U.

The second half using ∂U/∂M (mc2) → c2 then the inverse so ∂M/∂U which I need from above. Which is dumb. I could just solve for M and take ∂M/∂U in the first place...

Then mulitplying together gives me the correct equation for T.

My question lies in splitting up the derivative in order to get the form I need at the end. Is that the correct method to solve this? I looked around in my calculus book and didn't see anything that split up derivatives like this. Or anything that really explained this process. I think it makes more sense to sub in the energy like I did in the beginning, but woud like to understand this method as well.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Look up "chain rule." As far as I understand it, it is formally equivalent to direct substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook