Entropy change when the number of particles decreases

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school textbook exercise that involves computing the entropy change in a process where the number of particles decreases from N1 to N2=N1/2. The solution provided is ΔS=-k*N1*ln2, but there are doubts about the validity of the exercise as it does not take into account factors such as interaction between particles and changes in temperature.
greypilgrim
Hi.

I found following exercise in a high school textbook:
"Compute the entropy change in following process:"
SCAN0015.png

The solution is
"The number of particles decreases from ##N_1## to ##N_2=N_1/2##. Hence the entropy decreases by
$$\Delta S=-k\cdot N_1\cdot \ln{2}\enspace ."$$

I can't quite follow the argument here. Assuming the particles in each picture are non-interacting and have the same number of microstates ##\Omega##, I get
$$S_1=N_1\cdot k\cdot \ln{\Omega}$$
$$S_2=N_2\cdot k\cdot \ln{\Omega}=\frac{N_1}{2}\cdot k\cdot \ln{\Omega}=\frac{S_1}{2}$$
from which I can see that the entropy decreases, but cannot compute the difference since I don't know ##\Omega##.

Science news on Phys.org
I have doubts that the exercise makes much sense. E.g. if this is meant to be a chemical reaction in an isolated container, the system will heat up and entropy will increase rather than decrease.

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is the measure of disorder or randomness in a system. It can be calculated by looking at the number of possible arrangements of particles in a given system.

How does the number of particles affect entropy change?

The more particles there are in a system, the higher the entropy change will be. This is because a larger number of particles allows for a greater number of possible arrangements, leading to a higher level of disorder or randomness.

What happens to entropy change when the number of particles decreases?

When the number of particles decreases, the entropy change also decreases. This is because there are fewer possible arrangements of particles, resulting in a lower level of disorder or randomness in the system.

Can entropy change be negative when the number of particles decreases?

No, entropy change cannot be negative. It is a measure of disorder or randomness, so it can only be equal to or greater than zero.

How does entropy change affect the stability of a system?

An increase in entropy change can lead to a decrease in the stability of a system. This is because a higher level of disorder or randomness can make it more difficult for the system to maintain its structure and function properly.