1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy Equatio for a closed system

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    I must have already been banned for spamming threads.

But oh well.

You know how change in entropy [tex]dS[/tex] of a closed system assuming reversibility of the processes = [tex](\frac{dQ}{T})_{rev}=\frac{C_{p}dT}{T}[/tex]

So when you try to find the actual entropy with respect to temperature, it's:

[tex]\displaystyle \int S_{T} = S_{0} + \int^{T}_{0} \C_{p}dT/T\[/tex]

That's understandable. But that's my derivation. The text uses a slightly different formula:

[tex]S_{T} = S_{0} + \int^{T}_{0} \\frac{C_{p}dT}{T}\ + \sum \frac{\Delta H_{trans}}{T}[/tex]

So my question 1 is: where did the [tex]\sum \frac{\Delta H_{trans}}{T}[/tex] come from?

And my question 2 is:
    if we say that heat capacity [tex]C_{p}[/tex] is constant (it's not strictly constant, but with an approximation, we can call it a constant), we have:

[tex]\int \frac{C_{P}dT}{T} \sim C_{P} \int \frac{dT}{T}=[/tex]
    [tex]\sim C_{P} \ln{T}[/tex]

Could the top eqn. be used as an approximation (part of an approximation, this is only a part of the equation)

As you can tell I am not that well-versed in Latex D=

Thanks

~Tosser

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted