EPE at a point due to two point charges

In summary, the equation of motion for two point charges is found by taking the Coulomb's Force Law and replacing the force between the charges with an equation for energy/work done.
elemis
CodeCogsEqn.gif

The above equation gives the EPE of two point charges separated by a distance r.

Firstly, I do not understand how this formula gives the TOTAL EPE of the system.

Secondly, let's say I have three deuterium nuclei moving towards one another with initial speed V.

They all stop instantaneously at the same point such that they are all separated from one another by distance r.

How would the above formula change to give the total EPE of the system ? Would you consider each pair of nuclei ?

So total EPE of system = (EPE of 1st+2nd) + (1st+3rd) + (2nd+3rd) ?

Hence, the formula becomes
CodeCogsEqn-1.gif

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi elemis! :smile:
elemis said:
Firstly, I do not understand how this formula gives the TOTAL EPE of the system.

no work is done bringing the first charge from infinity

so you only need to consider the work done by bringing the second charge
Secondly, let's say I have three deuterium nuclei moving towards one another with initial speed V.

They all stop instantaneously at the same point such that they are all separated from one another by distance r.

How would the above formula change to give the total EPE of the system ? Would you consider each pair of nuclei ?

potential energy is defined as minus the work done (per charge) …

if there's more than one force, how does that affect the total work done? :wink:

Hi TinyTim ! We meet again !

attachment.php?attachmentid=141266&d=1334228946.png

Please have a look at the above image i.e. part (a)

You are telling me that no EPE is gained by one of the nuclei ?

So we consider the EPE of only one?

EDIT : How is that possible when both are moving towards one another and both are trying to overcome the repulsive force of the other ?

work done = force "dot" displacement

if they're both moving, wouldn't you expect the displacement of one to be halved, and the total distance to remain the same? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
work done = force "dot" displacement

if they're both moving, wouldn't you expect the displacement of one to be halved, and the total distance to remain the same? :wink:
Could you elaborate ? Are you saying r in the very first formula at the top of the page is in fact r/2

tiny-tim said:
if there's more than one force, how does that affect the total work done? :wink:

So is it the sum of the forces of all the nuclei multiplied by their displacement ?

elemis said:
Are you saying r in the very first formula at the top of the page is in fact r/2

no, the result will be the same

but you can obtain it either by bringing one charge from infinity (zero work), then bringing the other charge (∫ F(r).dr)

or by bringing both charges from infinity together (∫ F(r).d(r/2) + ∫F(r).d(r/2)) :wink:
elemis said:
So is it the sum of the forces of all the nuclei multiplied by their displacement ?

yes, but you'd be crazy to try to do it that way :yuck: …

bring each charge from infinity one at a time :smile:

Before we all get confused, let's deal with the question in post no. 3 first.

Its alright to do that i.e. pretend one nuclei moves to the collision point and calculate the change in EPE (zero for the first one because both are at infinity at feel no repulsion) and calculate the change in EPE for the other ?

yes :smile:

(and there's no problem with the "fixed" one having speed v … we can bring the other one in as fast or as slow as we like, and the speed makes no difference to the force (if we're ignoring relativity))

With regards to this setup of two point charges, I was thinking the other day (assuming both charges are the same magnitude and opposite sign...) What is the equation of motion? If we write Coulomb's Force Law then the equation seems hard to solve. Can we use energy/ work done equations to solve the equation of motion more simply? Or use Lagrangian mechanics methods??

tiny-tim said:
yes :smile:

(and there's no problem with the "fixed" one having speed v … we can bring the other one in as fast or as slow as we like, and the speed makes no difference to the force (if we're ignoring relativity))
Thank you very much TinyTim ! As always, I am much obliged.

You have literally answered a query that my teacher couldn't explain and has been 'thinking' about for the last six months.

1. What is EPE at a point due to two point charges?

The electric potential energy (EPE) at a point due to two point charges is the amount of work required to bring the two charges from infinity to that point, while keeping them at a fixed distance from each other.

2. How do you calculate EPE at a point due to two point charges?

EPE at a point due to two point charges can be calculated using the formula EPE = (k * q1 * q2) / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for EPE at a point due to two point charges?

The unit of measurement for EPE at a point due to two point charges is joules (J), which is equivalent to newton-meters (N*m).

4. How does the magnitude and sign of the charges affect EPE at a point?

The magnitude of the charges directly affects the EPE at a point, as a higher magnitude will result in a greater EPE. The sign of the charges also plays a role, as like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will have a positive EPE, while opposite charges (positive-negative or negative-positive) will have a negative EPE.

5. Can EPE at a point due to two point charges be negative?

Yes, EPE at a point due to two point charges can be negative when the two charges have opposite signs. This indicates that work must be done to bring the charges from infinity to that point, and the system has potential to release energy if the charges were to move closer together.