Epsilon-Delta proofs, once again

• Thread starter dzogi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary: That way, if we have |x-2|<\delta, we can say that |x-2||x^2+2x+4| < 19|x-2| < \epsilon, and we're done. In summary, when working with \epsilon-\delta proofs, we can choose \delta to be any value less than the smaller of \epsilon/19 and 1. That way, if we have |x-2|<\delta, we can prove that |x-2||x^2+2x+4| < \epsilon, and therefore show that \lim_{x\rightarrow2}x^3=8.
dzogi
I'm trying to understand [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] proofs, but I'm having some trouble. For example, if we want to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}x^3=8[/tex], starting from [tex]|x^3-8|[/tex] we get to something like

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4|[/tex]

And this is what confuses me: we conjecture that [tex]|x-2|<1[/tex], then [tex]|x|<3[/tex], so we get

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4| \leq |x-2|||x|^2+2|x|+4|<|x-2||3^2+2*3+4|=19|x-2|[/tex] then we can easily find out what [tex]\delta[/tex] is. But, why do we make that assumption when we're working with every [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]? That might not be true for some [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ([tex]|x-1|<\delta<1[/tex]. I might be missing something big here, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I sorted this out. We're taking [tex]\delta<1[/tex], so it doesn't matter since we only have to find one [tex]\delta[/tex] to prove that the limit holds.

dzogi said:
I'm trying to understand [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] proofs, but I'm having some trouble. For example, if we want to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}x^3=8[/tex], starting from [tex]|x^3-8|[/tex] we get to something like

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4|[/tex]

And this is what confuses me: we conjecture that [tex]|x-2|<1[/tex], then [tex]|x|<3[/tex], so we get

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4| \leq |x-2|||x|^2+2|x|+4|<|x-2||3^2+2*3+4|=19|x-2|[/tex] then we can easily find out what [tex]\delta[/tex] is. But, why do we make that assumption when we're working with every [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]? That might not be true for some [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ([tex]|x-1|<\delta<1[/tex]. I might be missing something big here, thank you in advance.

?? It is not relevant what [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is, you are requiring that [itex]\delta[/itex] be less that 1. That, you are free to choose. As long as there is some [itex]\delta[/itex] works, then any smaller [itex]\delta[/itex] also works. That's why we can require that [itex]\delta[/itex] be less than 1.

In this particular case, what we would have to do is choose [itex]\delta[/itex] less than the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/19[/itex] and 1.

What is an Epsilon-Delta proof?

An Epsilon-Delta proof is a mathematical method used to rigorously prove the limit of a function. It involves manipulating the values of epsilon and delta to show that for any small value of epsilon, there exists a corresponding value of delta that ensures the function's output is within epsilon of the limit.

Why are Epsilon-Delta proofs important?

Epsilon-Delta proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and precise way of proving the limit of a function. They also allow for a better understanding of the behavior of functions near their limits and can be used to prove important theorems in calculus.

What are the key steps in an Epsilon-Delta proof?

The key steps in an Epsilon-Delta proof include: defining the limit of the function, setting up the necessary inequalities involving epsilon and delta, finding an appropriate value of delta based on the given epsilon, and showing that the function's output is within epsilon of the limit for all values of x within delta of the limit point.

What are some common challenges in Epsilon-Delta proofs?

Some common challenges in Epsilon-Delta proofs include: choosing an appropriate value of delta, manipulating inequalities involving epsilon and delta, and correctly interpreting the definition of a limit. It is important to carefully follow the logical steps and clearly communicate each step in the proof.

How can I practice and improve my skills in Epsilon-Delta proofs?

To practice and improve your skills in Epsilon-Delta proofs, you can work through examples and practice problems, seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, and review theorems and definitions related to limits and continuity. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down the proof into smaller steps and carefully explain each step to ensure understanding.