1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-Delta proofs, once again

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to understand [tex]\epsilon-\delta[/tex] proofs, but I'm having some trouble. For example, if we want to prove that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow2}x^3=8[/tex], starting from [tex]|x^3-8|[/tex] we get to something like

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4|[/tex]

And this is what confuses me: we conjecture that [tex]|x-2|<1[/tex], then [tex]|x|<3[/tex], so we get

[tex]|x-2||x^2+2x+4| \leq |x-2|||x|^2+2|x|+4|<|x-2||3^2+2*3+4|=19|x-2|[/tex] then we can easily find out what [tex]\delta[/tex] is. But, why do we make that assumption when we're working with every [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]? That might not be true for some [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ([tex]|x-1|<\delta<1[/tex]. I might be missing something big here, thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2
    I think I sorted this out. We're taking [tex]\delta<1[/tex], so it doesn't matter since we only have to find one [tex]\delta[/tex] to prove that the limit holds.

4. May 9, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? It is not relevant what [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is, you are requiring that [itex]\delta[/itex] be less that 1. That, you are free to choose. As long as there is some [itex]\delta[/itex] works, then any smaller [itex]\delta[/itex] also works. That's why we can require that [itex]\delta[/itex] be less than 1.

In this particular case, what we would have to do is choose [itex]\delta[/itex] less than the smaller of [itex]\epsilon/19[/itex] and 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?