1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilons and Deltas Book Error? Or My Error?

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given f(x) = mx + b, m > 0, L = (m/2) + b, xo = 1/2 , [itex]\epsilon = c >0[/itex] find (a) an open interval on which the inequality
    |f(x) - L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]
    holds. Then find (b) [itex]\delta[/itex] such that 0 < |x - xo| < [itex]\delta\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x) - L| < [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

Here is my problem with the book's solution. Since the condition [itex]\epsilon=c>0[/itex] was given, I only used the right-hand-side of the inequality:

[itex]-c<|f(x)-L|<c[/itex] because to me it did not make sense to solve the inequality under a condition that cannot be. Instead, I chose to write the above inequality as:

[itex]0<|f(x)-L|<c[/itex]

But the text gave answer of (a) [itex](\frac{1}{2}-\frac{c}{m}, \frac{c}{m}+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] and (b) [itex]\delta = c/m[/itex]

Why did they use the left-hand-side of the inequality if it was given that c > 0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    The book is right, but I don't know why it introduces the unneeded term c. I'm not sure if they are trying to trick you, but epsilon, or c for that matter, is just an arbitrary positive number. Look at the inequality |f(x) - L| < e again (e is just an arbtirary positive number; we usually think of it as very small). You interpreted this correctly in the previous limit question I helped you out with. All this inequality is saying is that f(x) is within a distance e from L.

Remember, |f(x) - L| < e is equivalent to L - e < f(x) < L + e. If you choose to write it in the latter form, you have to drop the absolute value signs (which I think is what tripped you up).

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    Oh yeah! We define epsilon to be a positive number.
    That wAs stupid of me!

Thanks!

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    what course is this

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    This from a Calculus Textbook. Self Study.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook