Eq. of tangent plane at a point.

In summary, the two equations for z are z= fx(x-xo) + fy(y-yo) and z= Fx(xo,yo,zo) + Fy(xo,yo,zo) + Fz(xo,yo,zo)=0. The first equation has terms in front of (z-z0), while the second equation does not. If you use the gradient to solve for z, you get z= 8\sqrt{1-x^2/4-y^2/4}.
catch22

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-29_21-37-8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what is the difference between the form

z - zo = fx(x-xo) + fy(y-yo)

and:

Fx(xo,yo,zo) + Fy(xo,yo,zo) + Fz(xo,yo,zo)=0
____________________________________________________________________________using the first eq :
upload_2015-10-29_21-48-20.png

while the latter gives:
upload_2015-10-29_21-49-44.png

Am I doing something wrong? shouldn't they give the same answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
catch22 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 91052

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what is the difference between the form

z - zo = fx(x-xo) + fy(y-yo)

and:

Fx(xo,yo,zo) + Fy(xo,yo,zo) + Fz(xo,yo,zo)=0
____________________________________________________________________________using the first eq :
View attachment 91053

while the latter gives:
View attachment 91054

Am I doing something wrong? shouldn't they give the same answer?

You're doing something wrong, when you solve for ##z-z_0##, what happens to the term in front of ##(z-z_0)##, and what about your signs?

Student100 said:
You're doing something wrong, when you solve for ##z-z_0##, what happens to the term in front of ##(z-z_0)##, and what about your signs?
are you talking about the first equation z - zo = fx(x-xo) + fy(y-yo)? I thought there aren't suppose to be any terms in front of (z−z0)

actually, in order to get z - zo = fx(x-xo) + fy(y-yo), didn't we have to divide everything by z so we had something like A/C = Fx and B/C = Fy

I think I found the problem.

if I use gradient, the Fz has to equate to -1, right?

Student100 said:
is this correct?
upload_2015-10-29_22-48-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-29_22-48-32.png
    upload_2015-10-29_22-48-32.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 368
The difference between "z= f(x, y)" and "F(x, y, z)= 0" is that you are taking F(x, y, z)= f(x, y)- z. Taking the gradient [itex]\nabla F= <f_x, f_y, -1>[[/itex].

It is correct that [itex]F(1, -1, 4\sqrt{2})= \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{32}{64}= 1[/itex] but that does NOT say "z= 1". You are told that at this point [itex]z= 4\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The fact that [itex]F(1, -1, 4\sqrt{2})= 1[/itex] just verifies that the given point is on the given surface.

The tangent plane is [itex]z- z_0= f_x(x_0, y_0)(x- x_0)+ f_y(x_0, y_0)(y- y_0)[/itex] only applies if you are given z= f(x, y) which is NOT the case here. You are given, rather, [itex]F(x, y, z)= x^2/4+ y^2/4+ z^2/64= 1[/itex]. In order to convert that to the "z= f(x,y)" form you need to solve for z: [itex]z^2/64= 1- x^2/4- y^2/4[/itex], [itex]z/8= \sqrt{1- x^2/4- y^2/4}[/itex], [itex]z= 8\sqrt{1- x^2/4- y^2/4}[/itex].

Much simpler is to use the fact that if F(x, y, z)= 1 (or any constant) then [itex]\nabla F[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface at any point. Since for any point (x, y, z) on the tangent plane to the surface at [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], the vector [itex](x- x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j}+ (z- z_0)\vec{k}[/itex] is in the tangent plane, we must have [itex]\nabla F\cdot [(x- x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j}+ (z- z_0)\vec{k}]= 0[/itex] which is the same as [itex]F_x(x_0, y_0, z_0)(x- x_0)+ F_y(x_0, y_0, z_0)(y- y_0)+ F_z(x_0, y_0, z_0)(z- z_0)= 0[/itex] as the equation of the tangent plane.

Likes Student100
HallsofIvy said:
The difference between "z= f(x, y)" and "F(x, y, z)= 0" is that you are taking F(x, y, z)= f(x, y)- z. Taking the gradient [itex]\nabla F= <f_x, f_y, -1>[[/itex].

It is correct that [itex]F(1, -1, 4\sqrt{2})= \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{32}{64}= 1[/itex] but that does NOT say "z= 1". You are told that at this point [itex]z= 4\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The fact that [itex]F(1, -1, 4\sqrt{2})= 1[/itex] just verifies that the given point is on the given surface.

The tangent plane is [itex]z- z_0= f_x(x_0, y_0)(x- x_0)+ f_y(x_0, y_0)(y- y_0)[/itex] only applies if you are given z= f(x, y) which is NOT the case here. You are given, rather, [itex]F(x, y, z)= x^2/4+ y^2/4+ z^2/64= 1[/itex]. In order to convert that to the "z= f(x,y)" form you need to solve for z: [itex]z^2/64= 1- x^2/4- y^2/4[/itex], [itex]z/8= \sqrt{1- x^2/4- y^2/4}[/itex], [itex]z= 8\sqrt{1- x^2/4- y^2/4}[/itex].

Much simpler is to use the fact that if F(x, y, z)= 1 (or any constant) then [itex]\nabla F[/itex] is perpendicular to the surface at any point. Since for any point (x, y, z) on the tangent plane to the surface at [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], the vector [itex](x- x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j}+ (z- z_0)\vec{k}[/itex] is in the tangent plane, we must have [itex]\nabla F\cdot [(x- x_0)\vec{i}+ (y- y_0)\vec{j}+ (z- z_0)\vec{k}]= 0[/itex] which is the same as [itex]F_x(x_0, y_0, z_0)(x- x_0)+ F_y(x_0, y_0, z_0)(y- y_0)+ F_z(x_0, y_0, z_0)(z- z_0)= 0[/itex] as the equation of the tangent plane.
upload_2015-10-30_6-11-52.png

looks correct?

What are [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex] and [itex]z_0[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
What are [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex] and [itex]z_0[/itex]?
I used r⋅n = n ⋅ (1,-1,4sqrt(2))
to find my previous answer.

r being (x,y,z)

So you do not know what [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex], and [itex]z_0[/itex] are? Then you need to talk to your teacher.

HallsofIvy said:
So you do not know what [itex]x_0[/itex], [itex]y_0[/itex], and [itex]z_0[/itex] are? Then you need to talk to your teacher.
HallsofIvy said:
they are the point given, (1,-1,4sqrt(2))

Yes. I asked that in post #8 and you did not answer. Now, my question is "why do you not have (x- 1), (y+ 1), and [itex](z- 4\sqrt{2})[/itex] in your answer"?

upload_2015-10-29_21-49-44-png.91054.png

that was what I initially had

1. What is the equation of a tangent plane at a point?

The equation of a tangent plane at a point is a mathematical expression that describes the plane that is tangent to a three-dimensional surface at a specific point. It is used to approximate the behavior of a function near that point.

2. How is the equation of a tangent plane at a point calculated?

The equation of a tangent plane at a point is calculated using the partial derivatives of a function at that point. These derivatives represent the slope of the function in each direction, and can be used to determine the equation of the tangent plane.

3. Why is the equation of a tangent plane at a point important?

The equation of a tangent plane at a point is important because it allows us to make local approximations of a function. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics, where understanding the behavior of a function near a specific point is crucial.

4. Can the equation of a tangent plane at a point change?

Yes, the equation of a tangent plane at a point can change if the function itself changes. The equation will also vary depending on the point of tangency chosen. However, the method of calculating the equation remains the same.

5. How is the equation of a tangent plane at a point used in real-world applications?

The equation of a tangent plane at a point is used in real-world applications to approximate the behavior of a function near a specific point. This can help in predicting future trends, optimizing designs, and making informed decisions based on the behavior of a function at a particular point.