1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations of a Plane

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    Here is my question: When given three distict points A, B, C, find the parametric equations for the plane throught these three points.
    I was able to get the plane through these three points, first of all by getting the normal vector n = ABxAC, then by multiplying this vector by [(X-Xo)+(Y-Yo)+(Z-Zo)]. Where Xo, Yo, and Zo are the coordinates of point A.
    But from this point on I don't know how to obtain the parametric equations from the plane equation. Please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

You can first find the vector equation then convert it to parametric equations.

You have the three points A, B, and C. Find vector AB and vector AC then double check to make sure that they are not collinear (as you need two non-collinear direction vectors for equation of a plane). You now have two direction vectors and pick any point A, B, or C and you should have the vector equation. From there you can find the parametric equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?