1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equality between centrifugal force and V

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone,

Today in a question I saw an equality like this but I couldn't figure out how they are equal? Can anyonu help me please?

mv^2/ r = | dV/dr |

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2
    What do the various symbols in this equality represent?

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
    I can't figure it out either, probably because they are not equal. If the equation was: m*v^2/r = dv/dr*m then they would be equal.

5. Sep 24, 2008 #4
    In the left side of the equation is the known centrifugal force. m--mass,v--velocity,r--radius,on the right side V is the potential,r--radius

6. Sep 24, 2008 #5
    Are you working at a level where you can relate forces to gradients of potential?

7. Sep 24, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi soul! :smile:

Could that be mv^2/ r = | dU/dr |, where U is the gravitational or electric potential?

8. Sep 24, 2008 #7
    Yes, tiny-tim.it is. I think I am not good enough to express myself. Thank you.

9. Sep 24, 2008 #8
    Writing mv^2/ r = | dV/dr | is like writing ma=F (which you might be more familiar with?). Does this help?

10. Sep 24, 2008 #9
    Could you explain it in a more detailed way, please,JimChampion?

11. Sep 24, 2008 #10
    F=ma is a common way of expressing Newton's second law of motion for an object with constant mass m.

The mv^2/ r = | dV/dr | is equivalent to writing ma=F because

v^2/r is the centripetal acceleration

|dV/dr| is the magnitude of the centripetal force (given by the gradient of the potential V)

12. Sep 24, 2008 #11
    I don't really know what level of explanation you're after!

When I did A-level physics (in the UK, 1994) knowing about potential and how it relates to force was part of the course. I now teach A-level physics, and this is no longer part of the course: anything with calculus is avoided and probably wouldn't be encountered unless you studied an undergraduate physics course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook