1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equality of Two Linear Mappings

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    Let ##L_1## and ##L_2## be two linear mappings from ##R \rightarrow R^n## satisfying the following theorem:
    "The mapping ##f: R \rightarrow R^n## is differentiable at ##a \in R## if and only if there exists a linear mapping ##L: R \rightarrow R^n## such that
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - L(h)}{h} = {\bf{0}}[/tex]
    in which case L is defined by ##L(h) = df_a(h) = hf'(a)##." (From Edwards 'Advanced Calculus').
    I am to prove that ##L_1 = L_2##. The text hints that I should first show that:
    [tex]lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]
    My first idea was to use the definition of ##L## from the theorem so that
    [tex]L_1(h) - L_2(h) = h\lim_{h \to 0}\Big(\frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h}\Big) - h\lim_{h \to 0}\Big(\frac{f(a + h) - f(a}{h}\Big) = h\lim_{h \to 0}\Big(\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - f(a + h) + f(a)}{h}\Big) = h\lim_{h \to 0}(0) = 0[/tex]
    And so [tex]lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{0}{h} = 0[/tex]
    But looking back, I think that whole process rested on the assumption that ##L_1 = L_2## in the first place. I am not quite sure what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by assuming
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - L_1(h)}{h} = 0$$
    and
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0$$
    Now subtract one equation from the other. What do you end up with?

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - L_1(h)}{h} - \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0 - 0 = 0[/tex]
    So [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(a + h) - f(a) - f(a +h) + f(a)}{h} - \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_2(h) - L_1(h)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{0}{h} + \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]
    Thus [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]
    Does the next step require a delta-epsilon proof to establish the validity of this limit? Seems to be pointing in that direction.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well what is the next step? Your goal is to show that ##L_1(x) = L_2(x)## for all ##x \in \mathbb{R}##.

Hint: This would be a good time to take advantage of the linearity of ##L_1## and ##L_2##.

6. Mar 17, 2013 #5
    Hm, I'm not yet making the connection from a mapping ##L(h)## to ##L({\bf{x}})##, but my first idea is since the above theorem is satisfied, there exist linear mappings ##L_1## and ##L_2## such that ##L_1(h{\bf{x}})## and ##L_2(h{\bf{x}})## = ##h{\bf{x}}_1## and ##h{\bf{x}}_2##, respectively for all ##{\bf{x}}_1,{\bf{x}}_2 \in R##. If I was allowed to say that ##L(h{\bf{x}}) = {\bf{x}}L(h)## I could see how using what I just showed above might be useful, but that doesn't seem right.

7. Mar 17, 2013 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But that's the nice thing about linear mappings: you CAN say that. Remember that a linear mapping from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##\mathbb{R}^n## satisfies
    $$L(x+y) = L(x) + L(y)$$
    for any ##x,y \in \mathbb{R}##, and
    $$L(ax) = aL(x)$$
    for any ##a,x \in \mathbb{R}##.

Try using the second fact to simplify
    $$\frac{L_1(h)}{h}$$
    and
    $$\frac{L_2(h)}{h}$$

8. Mar 17, 2013 #7
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0[/tex]
    Since our theorem is satisfied, there exist linear mappings ##L_1## and ##L_2## such that ##L_1(h{\bf{x}})## and ##L_2(h{\bf{x}})## = ##h{\bf{x}}_1## and ##h{\bf{x}}_2##, respectively for all ##{\bf{x}}_1,{\bf{x}}_2 \in R##. By linearity, we have that ##L_1({\bf{x}}_1h) = {\bf{x}}_1L_1(h)## and ##L_2({\bf{x}}_2h) = {\bf{x}}_2L_2(h)##. Then,
    [tex] = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h{\bf{x}}_1) - L_2(h{\bf{x}}_2)}{h} = 0[/tex]
    And, by linearity:
    [tex] = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{hL_1({\bf{x}}_1) - hL_2({\bf{x}}_2)}{h} = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{h}{h}L_1({\bf{x}}_1) - \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{h}{h}L_2({\bf{x}}_2) =0 \rightarrow L_1({\bf{x}}_1) = L_2({\bf{x}}_2)[/tex]
    If I didn't need to make a distinction between ##{\bf{x}}## then perhaps this is plausible. ><

9. Mar 17, 2013 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wait, isn't that what you are trying to prove? I don't see how you can say that at this point.

What you have is
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{L_1(h) - L_2(h)}{h} = 0$$
    We can rewrite this as follows:
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\left(\frac{1}{h}L_1(h) - \frac{1}{h}L_2(h)\right) = 0$$
    and by linearity,
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\left(L_1\left(\frac{1}{h}h\right) - L_2\left(\frac{1}{h}h\right)\right) = 0$$
    which is simply
    $$\lim_{h \to 0}\left(L_1\left(1\right) - L_2\left(1\right)\right) = 0$$
    What does this imply?

10. Mar 17, 2013 #9
    Implying that:
    [tex]\lim_{h \to 0}L_1(1) = \lim_{h \to 0}L_2(1)[/tex]
    But as ##h \rightarrow 0##, doesn't this imply that ##L_1 = L_2##?

11. Mar 17, 2013 #10

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, there is no dependency on ##h## in ##L_1(1)## or ##L_2(1)##. So after taking limits the equation simply becomes
    $$L_1(1) = L_2(1)$$
    Now, can you see how this actually implies that ##L_1(x) = L_2(x)## for all ##x \in \mathbb{R}##? Use the linearity of ##L_1## and ##L_2## to show this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted