Equation for the line tangent to the graph and use it to approx. f(1.2)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for the line tangent to the graph of f at x = 1 and using it to approximate f(2.1). The correct equation is y - 4 = (1/2)(x-1) and the correct approximation is f(1.2) = 4.1. The conversation also mentions a previous mistake made by the speaker in a state competition.
lude1

Homework Statement

Write an equation for the line tangent to the graph of f at x = 1 and use it to approximate f(2.1).

Homework Equations

y = mx+b
f(1) = 4
f'(x) = (3x^2 + 1) / 2y
m = 1/2 when x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if the line is tangent to the graph of f at x = 1, that means they have the same slope (I think). Thus,

y = (1/2)x + b​

I have the point (1, 4) so I plug that into find b

4 = (1/2)(1) + b
b = 8​

Thus, I have

y = (1/2)x + 8​

Since they want me to approximate f(2.1), I would plug in 2.1 for x and solve for y. But, my answer is wrong. The correct answer is

y - 4 = (1/2)(x-1)
f(1.2) = 4.1​

My equation is wrong (and thus my answer), which leads me to believe that I'm approaching this incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
4 = (1/2)(1) + b
b = 8
That's wrong. b = 3.5

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I did that wrong even after I checked it over a few times!

Thanks!

You wouldn't believe some of the mistakes I've made.
e.g. In a state competition, I calculated 98 - 64 = 32. We lost by a point.

What is the equation for the line tangent to the graph at f(1.2)?

The equation for the line tangent to the graph at f(1.2) can be found using the slope formula, where the slope is equal to the derivative of the function at x=1.2. This can be represented as:
m = f'(1.2)
The equation for the line tangent can then be written as y = m(x - 1.2) + f(1.2), where f(1.2) is the y-value of the function at x=1.2.

What is the purpose of finding the equation for the tangent line at f(1.2)?

Finding the equation for the tangent line at f(1.2) allows us to approximate the value of the function at x=1.2. This is useful for understanding the behavior of the function at that particular point and can also be used to estimate the value of the function at a nearby point.

How can the tangent line equation be used to approximate f(1.2)?

By plugging in the value of x=1.2 into the equation for the tangent line, we can find the corresponding y-value, which is an approximation of f(1.2). This is because the tangent line is essentially a linear approximation of the function at that point.

What is the relationship between the tangent line and the graph of the function at f(1.2)?

The tangent line at f(1.2) is a straight line that touches the graph of the function at that point. This means that the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the curve at that point. The tangent line can be used to estimate the behavior of the function near f(1.2).

How can the tangent line equation be used to analyze the behavior of the function at f(1.2)?

The equation for the tangent line can be used to find the slope of the function at f(1.2), which can give insight into the behavior of the function at that point. For example, if the slope is positive, the function is increasing at f(1.2), and if the slope is negative, the function is decreasing at f(1.2).