1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a line/planes chapter question

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the parametric equation and symmetric equation for the line :

11) The line through (1,-1,1) and parallel to the line x + 2 = y/2 = z-3

2. Relevant equations

Parametric equation :

x = x0 - at
    y = y0 - bt
    z = z0 - ct

symmetric equations :

(x - xo) / a = (y - yo)/b = (z - zo) /c

3. The attempt at a solution

I just need to find a parallel vector to the line x + 2 = y/2 = z-3.
    Then I could use that vector with the initial point to find the parametric equation and the
    symmetric equation.

I am just not sure how to find the parallel vector. Looking at the book for answer,
    I see that the parallel vector is <2,3,2>, but I can't figure out how to obtain that answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One way to convert from "symmetric form" (x- x0)/a= (y- y0)/b= (z- z0)/c to "parametric form" is to use that "common value" as your parameter. That is, (x- x0)/a= (y- y0)/b= (z- z0)/c= t so you have (x- x0)/a= t, (y- y0)/b= t, and (z-z0)/c= t. Solve those for x, y, and z to get parametric equations for the same line.

Of course, once you have parametric equations, x= At+ x0, y= Bt+ y0, z= Ct+ z0, a vector parallel to the line is <A, B, C>.

(No, <2, 3, 2> is NOT parallel to x+ 2= y/2= z- 3. for example, on point that satisfies those is (-1, 2, 4) (I took x+2= y/2= z- 3= 1) and another is (0, 4, 5) (x+2= y/2= z- 3= 2). The vector from one of those to the other is NOT parallel to <2, 3, 2>.)

4. Sep 19, 2009 #3
    I though that the equation given "x + 2 = y/2 = z-3" looked like the symmetric form,
    with a = b = c = 1. So <A,B,C> = <1,1,1> ?

The from that I could find the displacement vector of <1,-1,1> , <1,1,1>

Then use that vector, which must be parallel to find the answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook