Equation of a tangent to a complicated function

In summary, the problem involves finding the y-intercept of the line tangent to the curve y=(x^4-2x^2-8)ecosx^2 at x=1. The process involves finding the whole equation of the line using f(1), f'(1), and b. The correct derivative is (4-4)ecos(1)+ (1- 2- 8)ecos(1)(-sin(1))(2)= 18ecos(1)sin(1).
brizer
The problem: The y-intercept of the line tangent to y=(x4-2x2-8)ecosx2 at x=1 is (a) -15.499 (b) -25.999 (c) -41.448 (d) 15.449 (e) 25.99

To find the y-intercept I have to find the whole equation of the line
y=f(1)
m=f'(1)
x=1
b=??

My problem is that I don't think I got the the derivative of f(x) right.
I know you have to apply the product rule and the chain rule, but I don't know if the chain rule should be applied to ecosx2. I came up with this:
(4x3-4x)ecosx2 + (x4-2x2-8)ecosx2(-sinx2)(2x)

then y=-15.4487
m =15.1465
and b=-1.020

the intercept doesn't equal any of the given answers, but y= answer a. However, if I use f'(x)= (4x3-4x)ecosx2 + (x4-2x2-8)ecosx2, I get b=1. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course, you need to use the chain rule. But I don't see where you got m. When x= 1, the derivative (slope of tangent line) is (4-4)ecos(1)+ (1- 2- 8)ecos(1)(-sin(1))(2)= 18ecos(1)sin(1) and I do NOT get 15.465 for that!

you're my hero. I made a silly mistake. Thanks so much for catching it!

What is the equation of a tangent to a complicated function?

The equation of a tangent to a complicated function is a line that touches the graph of the function at one point and has the same slope as the function at that point. It can be written in point-slope form as y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is the point of tangency and m is the slope of the function at that point.

How do you find the equation of a tangent to a complicated function?

To find the equation of a tangent to a complicated function, you will need to use calculus. First, take the derivative of the function to find the slope of the tangent line at any given point. Then, plug in the x-value of the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent.

Can there be more than one tangent to a complicated function at a given point?

Yes, it is possible for a complicated function to have more than one tangent at a given point. This can happen if the function has a sharp turn or a vertical tangent at that point. In these cases, the function will have two or more tangent lines with different slopes at that point.

What is the significance of the equation of a tangent to a complicated function?

The equation of a tangent to a complicated function is significant because it gives us information about the behavior of the function at a specific point. The slope of the tangent line represents the rate of change of the function at that point, and the point of tangency gives us the exact x and y coordinates where the tangent line touches the graph of the function.

Can the equation of a tangent to a complicated function be used to find the equation of the function itself?

No, the equation of a tangent to a complicated function cannot be used to find the equation of the function itself. The tangent line only gives us information about the behavior of the function at a specific point, not the entire function. To find the equation of the function, we would need more information, such as additional points on the graph or the overall shape of the function.