Equation of motion for a particle in a potential V(x)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 1K views
LagrangeEuler
Messages
711
Reaction score
22
If I have particle moving in the potential ##V(x)##, when I write equation of motion
## \frac{dx}{dt}=-V'(x)+q(t)##
and when I integrate this equation do I need to look ##V'(x)## as function of time, or I just could write
## x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt ##
Thanks for your answer!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how V is defined. According to what you wrote V=V(x) is just a function of space and hence you are correct.

Anyway, what's q(t)? And how did you obtain that equation of motion?
 
Yes but ##x=x(t)## and ##V=V(x)##. So I am confused. But because ##V(x)## is potential I think that I write equation in correct form. This is potential in which particle moves.
 
It seems you're using kind of a "constant of differentiation"(like a constant of integration) which is mathematically wrong!
You should add a constant only when you integrate something, not when you differentiate something!
 
No, you are not allowed to integrate the equations of motion like that. Even if V does not depend explicitly on time, it does so implicitly through x.

I also agree with earlier answers that your EoM looks weird.
 
Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?
 
LagrangeEuler said:
Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!
 
LagrangeEuler said:
Yes but you know. Particle is moving in some potential ##V(x)##. In certain moment ##t## it has coordinate ##x(t)##. ##q(t)## is certain pulse. How do you write down this solution?

Well...You can't write the solution without knowing what is q(t)!

Also the following is wrong.
LagrangeEuler said:
## x(t)=-V'(x)t+\int^t_0q(t)dt ##
Because x is an unknown function of time so you can't integrate. That's called a differential equation and it has its own methods.