Equation of motion for a particle with inverse and linear restoring forces

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rsaad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Assignment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rsaad
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Hi! I have attached the picture. Can someone please tell me what equation of motion will be?
My guess is that it will be

[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex] = -k/x -kx/2
 
Attachments
  • spring.png
    spring.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
What is x? What is "O"? What is fixed, what is not?
Those things labelled "k" are springs?
I don't think your answer is correct.
 
I think the signs are right, but it depends on the (unknown) original problem. However, an x in the denominator looks odd and I would expect to see a mass in the equation.