Polar Coordinates Tangent line

In summary: Are you sure you did it correctly? Try again. Leave it in terms in of 6θ and θ. As 6θ=pi/2, both derivatives become very simple at θ=pi/12. ehilddy/dθ = 6cos(π/12)cos(π/2) + sin(π/2)cos(π/12)dx/dθ = 1/2(5cos(5π/12) + 7cos(
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I don't know how to make theta so
∅ = theta.
find the slope of the tangent line at
r = sin(6∅) when ∅ = pi/12

Homework Equations

y=rsin(6∅)
x=rcos(6∅)
r=sin(6∅)
tangent line equation
y-y' = m(x-x')
m = dy/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

when ∅ = pi/12 then sin(6∅) = 1
so
r=1
x=rcos(6∅) = 0
y = rsin(6∅) = 1

so If I did the previous parts correctly, then I'm now attempting to find the slope (m).
I do not know how to find it.

m = dy/dx =EITHER= (dy/dr) / (dx/dr) or (dy/d∅) / (dx/d∅). Either way I wouldn't know how to take the derivatives if I did know which one to choose.

Am I doing this correctly? Am I on the right track? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need calculus for this question. As you observed, when ∅=pi/12, sin(6∅)=1. Now recall the sin graph and this should give you the answer.

Alternatively, you know r=r(∅) and you want r'(∅=pi/12).

theta should also be in quick symbols - look for θ.

CAF123 said:
You do not need calculus for this question. As you observed, when ∅=pi/12, sin(6∅)=1. Now recall the sin graph and this should give you the answer.

Alternatively, you know r=r(∅) and you want r'(∅=pi/12).

theta should also be in quick symbols - look for θ.

so when r=sin6θ=1 that is when the sin function is at a max. therefore the slope is zero?

PsychonautQQ said:
so when r=sin6θ=1 that is when the sin function is at a max. therefore the slope is zero?

Precisely.

why when I type zero into my online homework for the slope of the tangent curve if says I'm wrong ;-(

PsychonautQQ said:
why when I type zero into my online homework for the slope of the tangent curve if says I'm wrong ;-(

Not sure, try '0' instead of typing zero. Have you tried it again using calculus?

If you parametrize the curve r, writing expressions for x and y, then your method in the OP is also good.
##(dy/dx) = (dy/d\theta) (d\theta/dx)##, but it is probably simpler to just find r'.

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
Not sure, try '0' instead of typing zero. Have you tried it again using calculus?

If you parametrize the curve r, writing expressions for x and y, then your method in the OP is also good.
##(dy/dx) = (dy/d\theta) (d\theta/dx)##, but it is probably simpler to just find r'.

it's not accepting 0 as an answer either ;-( booo

PsychonautQQ said:

r is maximum as function of theta, which does not mean that the slope of the curve is zero. See picture.

The equation of the curve in polar coordinates is r=sin(6θ). How would you write the Cartesian coordinates x,y as functions of θ?

ehild

Attachments

• polarcurve.jpg
    polarcurve.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Wow, somehow I completely ignored that ∅ was the polar angle.
What I suggested in my opening post is wrong because you are not plotting r versus ∅. r and ∅ are polar representation.

Likewise, evaluating r'(∅=pi/15) here is incorrect because we are not plotting r versus theta.

Do as I said in my last post and parametrise the curve to get eqns for x and y. The find dy/dx.

(Thanks ehild for letting me know of my mistakes)

CAF123 said:
Wow, somehow I completely ignored that ∅ was the polar angle.
What I suggested in my opening post is wrong because you are not plotting r versus ∅. r and ∅ are polar representation.

Likewise, evaluating r'(∅=pi/15) here is incorrect because we are not plotting r versus theta.

Do as I said in my last post and parametrise the curve to get eqns for x and y. The find dy/dx.

(Thanks ehild for letting me know of my mistakes)

slope = dy/dx = (dy/dθ) / (dx/dθ)
I went in and saw my teacher at this part but I lost the sheet she wrote on because I'm a noob ;-(. But it went something like dy/dr(some sin's and cosines) / dx/dr(some sin's and cosines)
but I have no idea what she did now or how she did it or why it made sense at all. Any help appreciated.

y = rsinθ
x = rcosθ

PsychonautQQ said:
slope = dy/dx = (dy/dθ) / (dx/dθ)

y = rsinθ
x = rcosθ

It is given that r=sin(6θ). So the Cartesian coordinates are x=sin(6θ)cos(θ) and y=sin(6θ)sin(θ).
Derive both of them with respect to θ. The slope is dy/dx=(dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ).

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It is given that r=sin(6θ). So the Cartesian coordinates are x=sin(6θ)cos(θ) and y=sin(6θ)sin(θ).

ehild

you are so beautiful! I love this website so much. I'll learn LaTex so soon! 18 credits (4 physics classes + calculus three) is quite demanding and you have no idea how grateful I am I discovered this website and all of you! You're all so patient with me it's amazing.

ehild said:

ehild

dy/dθ = 6sinθcos(6θ) + sin(6θ)cos(θ)
dx/dθ = 1/2(5cos(5θ) + 7cos(7θ)

(dy/dθ)/(dx/dθ) = (6sinθcos(6θ) + sin(6θ)cos(θ)) / (1/2(5cos(5θ) + 7cos(7θ))
when θ = ∏/12...
(6sin(∏/12)cos(6∏/12) + sin(6∏/12)cos(∏/12)) / (1/2(5cos(5∏/12) + 7cos(7∏/12))
(0 + .9659258) / (.6470476128 + -1.8117333)
= -.8293446126
Which my online thing says is wrong ;-(

PsychonautQQ said:
dy/dθ = 6sinθcos(6θ) + sin(6θ)cos(θ)
dx/dθ = 1/2(5cos(5θ) + 7cos(7θ)

Are you sure you did it correctly? Try again. Leave it in terms in of 6θ and θ. As 6θ=pi/2, both derivatives become very simple at θ=pi/12.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line. The distance is typically denoted as "r" and the angle as "θ".

2. How do you graph a point in polar coordinates?

To graph a point in polar coordinates, first plot the distance "r" from the origin on the radial axis (usually the horizontal axis). Then, rotate the angle "θ" from the reference line in the counterclockwise direction.

3. What is the tangent line in polar coordinates?

The tangent line in polar coordinates is a line that touches a point on a polar curve and is perpendicular to the line that connects the point to the origin. It represents the instantaneous slope of the curve at that point.

4. How do you find the equation of the tangent line in polar coordinates?

To find the equation of the tangent line in polar coordinates, you can use the derivative of the polar curve at the given point. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the derivative, and the point of tangency can be found by plugging in the given angle "θ" into the polar equation.

5. What is the relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different ways of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system. In polar coordinates, a point is represented by its distance from the origin and an angle from a reference line, while in Cartesian coordinates, a point is represented by its distance from the x-axis and y-axis. The two systems are related by the equations x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), where "r" is the distance and "θ" is the angle in polar coordinates.