Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Equation to express the effect of velocity on mass

1. Apr 27, 2016 #1
    hello all. I am running a pet project that involves trying to get the equation for universal gravity to express the effect of velocity on the mass. (I don't want this equation as in trying to create it my self) however I cannot find an equation that describes the effect of velocity on mass.
    any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks
    Ewen

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the modern way of doing things, mass is not affected by velocity. Early in the development of Special Relativity, people used a velocity-dependent mass, but that's not the way that most people do things today.

4. Apr 27, 2016 #3
    so is there no way in which I can describe the effect and still keep it effective and up-to-date?. as I am slowly trying to generate an algorithm to applied to the three body problem and I see this as the first step to this algorithm.

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not to be discouraging, but the relativistic 3-body problem is extremely difficult. The relativistic two-body problem is already very difficult. Maybe you should start with that?

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5
    Not in general. But it is possible to find relativistic corrections fore special cases, e.g. Olson, D.W.; Guarino, R. C. (1985). "Measuring the active gravitational mass of a moving object". American Journal of Physics 53 (7): 661.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted