Equation to express the effect of velocity on mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding an equation that describes the effect of velocity on mass, as well as the challenge of applying this to the three-body problem. While it may be possible to find relativistic corrections for specific cases, the overall concept remains complex and challenging.
Evenus1
hello all. I am running a pet project that involves trying to get the equation for universal gravity to express the effect of velocity on the mass. (I don't want this equation as in trying to create it my self) however I cannot find an equation that describes the effect of velocity on mass.
any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks
Ewen

Physics news on Phys.org
In the modern way of doing things, mass is not affected by velocity. Early in the development of Special Relativity, people used a velocity-dependent mass, but that's not the way that most people do things today.

so is there no way in which I can describe the effect and still keep it effective and up-to-date?. as I am slowly trying to generate an algorithm to applied to the three body problem and I see this as the first step to this algorithm.

Not to be discouraging, but the relativistic 3-body problem is extremely difficult. The relativistic two-body problem is already very difficult. Maybe you should start with that?

Evenus1 said:
so is there no way in which I can describe the effect and still keep it effective and up-to-date?

Not in general. But it is possible to find relativistic corrections fore special cases, e.g. Olson, D.W.; Guarino, R. C. (1985). "Measuring the active gravitational mass of a moving object". American Journal of Physics 53 (7): 661.

1. What is the equation for expressing the effect of velocity on mass?

The equation for expressing the effect of velocity on mass is m = m0 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where m is the mass at rest, m0 is the mass at a given velocity, v is the velocity, and c is the speed of light.

2. How does velocity affect mass?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's velocity increases, its mass also increases. This is known as relativistic mass and is expressed by the equation m = m0 / √(1 - v^2/c^2).

3. Can velocity change the value of mass?

Yes, velocity can change the value of mass. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass increases significantly. However, at lower velocities, the change in mass is negligible.

4. How is the equation for expressing the effect of velocity on mass derived?

The equation m = m0 / √(1 - v^2/c^2) is derived from Einstein's famous equation E = mc^2, which relates energy and mass. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for mass and see how it is affected by velocity.

5. Is the effect of velocity on mass significant in everyday situations?

No, for everyday objects and velocities, the effect of velocity on mass is too small to be measured. It becomes significant only at extremely high velocities, close to the speed of light.