Equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method

In summary, the conversation discusses equations of motion that are unsolvable with elementary methods, the use of simulations to calculate outcomes, and the difficulty of solving real-world problems. The example of a simple pendulum is given as an exercise in a physics competition and the challenge of simulating a large angular displacement is mentioned. The conversation ends with a link to a forum post for further discussion.
Robin04
Hi,

Can you help me in collecting equations of motion that are unsolvable with elementary methods (especially with high school maths)? One that I found is when I release a body attached to an ideal spring that can freely rotate around an axis. The reason why I need them is because I would like to make simulations that can calculate a close outcome of the equation of motion.

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Robin

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for simple equations to check your simulation or are you looking for equations to use in your simulation? Real-world problems are usually too complicated to calculate a closed form solution. They are simulated in small time steps (say, 1/50 second). The forces and moments are calculated for the positions at one time. Then the motion is calculated for the small time step and new positions are obtained. Step through the simulation one time step (aka "time frame") at a time.

Likes Robin04
After thinking it over again maybe that's not equations that I'm looking for. It would be much more fun to find my own equations. This example I wrote about was an exercise at a physics competition where only the situation/problem was described, and there was no information on how to solve this problem, they didn't even tell anything about the solvability. The method you described is the one that I used in my program. I determined what forces are acting on the body that are dependent on the position, expressed the acceleration, calculated the velocites and updated the positions.

Likes FactChecker
A good example is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum. It is easily solvable if you make the small angle approximation, but for larger angles the solution requires elliptic functions. You could simulate a pendulum with a large angular displacement and show how the actual motion deviates from the sinusoidal motion predicted in the small angle limit.

Likes Robin04
phyzguy said:
A good example is the equation of motion for a simple pendulum. It is easily solvable if you make the small angle approximation, but for larger angles the solution requires elliptic functions. You could simulate a pendulum with a large angular displacement and show how the actual motion deviates from the sinusoidal motion predicted in the small angle limit.

Thank you ver much. I'll try this one. :)

1. What are equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method?

Equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method are mathematical equations that describe the motion of objects and cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods. These equations typically involve derivatives and integrals, and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. What are some examples of equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method?

Examples of equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method include the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids, and the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles.

3. Why are equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method important?

Equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method are important because they allow us to accurately model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as fluids and particles. These equations are also fundamental to many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and chemistry.

4. What methods are used to solve equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method?

To solve equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method, advanced mathematical techniques such as differential equations, partial differential equations, and numerical methods are used. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller, solvable parts and using mathematical algorithms to find solutions.

5. Can equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method be solved using computers?

Yes, equations of motion unsolvable with elementary method can be solved using computers. In fact, many of these equations are too complex to be solved by hand and require the use of computational methods. Computers can quickly and accurately solve these equations, allowing scientists to study and understand complex systems in greater detail.