1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equicontinuous sequences of functions vs. continuous functions

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    Hello,

below I have the problem and solution typed in Latex. For the first part, I just want someone to verify if I am correct.

For the second part, I need guidance in the right direction

math1.png
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got the right idea for a), but your description is a little muddled. Like what is the k subscript on your delta supposed to mean? For b) think about how you would go about choosing a delta to satisfy [itex]|g_n(1)-g_n(x)|<\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    Thank you. The k on the delta is just to show that for a given f_n and epsilon, you will get a particular delta which I call delta subscript k. I guess I could remove that.

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't it make more sense that if delta depends on f_n, that that particular delta should be labeled delta_n, instead of the meaningless subscript k? That's what I'm talking about with notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook