Equilbrium charge between 2 charges

In summary, the conversation discusses the separation of two charges, q1 and q2, at a distance of 1.0 m. q1 has a positive charge of 6.8micro-C, while q2 has a negative charge of 1.7micro-C. The question at hand is determining the position at which the net electric field produced by both charges is equal to zero. The solution involves using the equation kq1 / (1+r)^2 + kq2/(r^2) = 0 and solving for r in terms of R. The resulting solution is r = R(1 + (\frac{q_2}{q_1})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{-1
thursdaytbs
+6.8microC -1.7microC
(q1) ------ 1m ------ (q2)

"Two charges are separated by 1.0 m as shown. q1 has a positive charge of 6.8micro-C, and q2 has a negative charge of 1.7micro-C. At what position is the net electric field that is produced by both q1 and q2 equal to zero?

If a +5.0 micro-C charge is placed at this position, what force would act on it as a result of q1 and q2?
So what I did was:

Kq1/(1+r) + Kq2/r = 0, making r =the distance away from q2 outside of the system to be the equilibrium point. so q1 is 1m + r distance away from the point, and q2 = r distance away from the point.

K's cancel out, you get:
q1/(1+r) + q2/r = 0
Some algebra, turns out r = -0.2m.

Does that mean the point is 0.2m inwards from q2->q1 instead of outside of the system?
aka: (q1) -----0.8m----(qe)--0.2--(q2), where qe = equilibrium point?

Also, arent there two points which are in equliibrium of the system? We did a problem in class similar to this and had 2 pointsat equlibrium. Any help is greatly appreciated.
:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're supposed to be using the first power of r in your equations ? How does the inverse square law pertain here ? When should you instead use the first power as you did here (hint : potential).

I get a "nice" answer between the two charges.

isn't the potential of a charge: kq/r?

well q(Vb - Va) = kq(q-initial) / ra - kq(q-initial) / rb
but that's for moving a charge from one place to another, right?

OHhhhh is it:

Kq1 / r-from-q1 + kq2 / r-from-q2 = 0

so the K's cancel out leaving:

q1 / r1 + q2 / r2 = 0

q1 and q2 are knowns but r1 and r2 are unknowns. how would that be solved?

Would it be, kq1qe / r1^2 = kq2qe / r2^2
where q1 = q1
q2 = q2, and qe = equilbrium charge
r1 = distance from q1 - qe,
r2 = distance from q2 - qe

from that you get kq1qe / r1^2 = kq2qe / r2^2
becomes: q1 / r1^2 = q2 / r2^2
where q1, and q2 are known.

Then using system of equations, solve for r1 and r2?

Last edited:
This makes no sense to me...

equation 1) q1/r1 +q2/r2 = 0
equation 2) r1 [distance between equilibrium charge -> q1] = 2(R2)

plugging it in just gives me zero. help please, anyone?

thursdaytbs said:
isn't the potential of a charge: kq/r?

Potential yes, electric field strength, no.

What is the definition of electric field strength ? What is the electric field strength at distance r from point charge q ? Show some equations to prove understanding.

Alright, well.

The definition of electric field strength? The amount of force that is pulling or pushing on charges surrounding a charge?

E=F/q, so the Electric Field strength would be the Force [kq1q2/r^2] divided by the charge, q.

That means, E = kq1 / r^2.

Oh, also - Eleectric Potential Energy = qV, where V = kq/r. So, EPotential Energy = kq^2/r.

Last edited:
thursdaytbs said:
Alright, well.

The definition of electric field strength? The amount of force that is pulling or pushing on charges surrounding a charge?

E=F/q, so the Electric Field strength would be the Force [kq1q2/r^2] divided by the charge, q.

That means, E = kq1 / r^2.

This is correct. So you realize you were wrong to use the first power in your first attempt, correct ? Because there you were trying to find a zero potential point, which is NOT what the question was asking for.

So rewrite your first attempt using the second power of r and get a result and I'll check to see if it's right.

OHHH wow. Thanks a lot.

Ok, so for the net electric field to be 0, kq1 / (1+r)^2 + kq2/(r^2) = 0

Alright so:
1) k's drop out, leaving q1 / (1+r)^2 + q2/(r^2) = 0
2) (6.8x10^-6) / (1+2r+r^2) + (-1.7x10^-6) / (r^2) = 0
- multiply through by (1+2r+r^2)(r^2)
3) (6.8x10^-6)(r^2) + (-1.7x10^-6)(1+2r+r^2) = 0
4) R becomes a quadratic formula giving +.66667 and -.66667??

I feel so lost. Does that seem remotely correct?

*For q2, should I be putting in the negative (-) in front of it since it's a negative charge??

Last edited:
I don't see why you're having so much trouble.

Let q1 (the [itex]+6.8 \mu C [/itex] charge) lie at position r = 0 and the other q2 ([itex]-1.7 \mu C[/itex])lie at position r = R. Here R = 1 m.

Then at a position r, the net electric field strength of the system is :

[tex]+ \frac{kq_1}{r^2} - \frac{kq_2}{(R - r)^2}[/tex]

isn't it ?

Equate that expression to zero, and solve for r in terms of R. What do you get ?

You should get [tex]r = R(1 + (\frac{q_2}{q_1})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{-1}[/tex]

BTW, q1 and q2 refer to the absolute numerical values of the charges, since I've taken care of the signs in my formulation.

Last edited:
Yep [tex]r = R(1 + (\frac{q_2}{q_1})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{-1}[/tex] equates to 0.66666. That's what I got too using what I said above. I think it's doing the same thing.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help.

thursdaytbs said:
Yep [tex]r = R(1 + (\frac{q_2}{q_1})^{\frac{1}{2}})^{-1}[/tex] equates to 0.66666. That's what I got too using what I said above. I think it's doing the same thing.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help.

Then you have basically the right idea, but you don't have to solve a quadratic to get the answer. Just do this :

[tex]+ \frac{kq_1}{r^2} - \frac{kq_2}{(R - r)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{q_2}{q_1} = (\frac{R}{r} - 1)^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{R}{r} = 1 + (\frac{q_2}{q_1})^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

and you can manipulate that easily.

But it's OK to do it via a quadratic, just more tedious. You do understand why you should ignore the negative root though, correct ?

Last edited:

1. What is equilibrium charge between 2 charges?

The equilibrium charge between 2 charges refers to the state in which the forces exerted by the two charges on each other are balanced, resulting in a stable system.

2. How is equilibrium charge between 2 charges calculated?

The equilibrium charge between 2 charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium charge between 2 charges?

The equilibrium charge between 2 charges is affected by the magnitudes of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium in which the charges are located.

4. Can the equilibrium charge between 2 charges be negative?

Yes, the equilibrium charge between 2 charges can be negative if the two charges are of opposite signs and the force between them is attractive rather than repulsive.

5. How does the equilibrium charge between 2 charges impact the stability of a system?

The equilibrium charge between 2 charges is essential for maintaining the stability of a system. If the charges are not in equilibrium, there will be a net force acting on the system, causing it to move and potentially disrupting its stability.