Equilibrium sum of forces question

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem involving equilibrium, distance, and weight. The person is seeking confirmation on their solution attempt and asks for help if it is incorrect. The conversation also includes hints and additional attempts at solving the problem. The final solution involves finding the angle and using trigonometry to calculate the distance, with the person admitting to overthinking the problem at first.
fableblue
Equilibrium question with distance and weight

Homework Statement

Would someone be able to tell me if my attempt at this is correct. It seems too easy. If it is not could you help?

Homework Equations

Sum of the forces in the X direction
Sum of the forces in the Y direction
Mid point = DF

The Attempt at a Solution

attached

Attachments

• Equilibrium001.jpg
    Equilibrium001.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 394
  • Equilibrium002.jpg
    Equilibrium002.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am just seeing if i am on the right path. A simple yes or no would be enough.
Thank you

No, it's not quite right. Hint: What's the tension in the rope? Then you can sum the forces on the sliding collar.

Thanks Doc Al
I will look at it again when i get home from work.

I was going about this the wrong way, making it too complicated.
1st what I did was get the angle where the rope attached to collar A and the rod, γ = cos-1 (40/50), γ=36.87 ; the to find x I just used tan36.87= 20/x  x = 20/tan36.87 so the result is x = 26.67in.
I find that I over think a problem too much but I guess that is because I find it hard to find a starting point.

Thanks

Related to Equilibrium sum of forces question

1. What is the definition of equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability in which all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, resulting in no net force and no change in motion.

2. How do you determine the equilibrium sum of forces?

The equilibrium sum of forces is determined by adding up all the forces acting on an object in a given system and ensuring that the sum is equal to zero.

3. Can an object be in equilibrium if it is moving?

Yes, an object can be in equilibrium even if it is moving, as long as the net force acting on the object is zero. This is known as dynamic equilibrium.

4. What are the conditions for an object to be in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is zero and the sum of all torques acting on it is also zero. In other words, there is no acceleration or rotation of the object.

5. How does the concept of equilibrium apply to real-world situations?

The concept of equilibrium is applicable to many real-world situations, such as balancing a see-saw, designing bridges and buildings, and understanding the motion of objects in space. It is also important in fields such as mechanics, engineering, and physics.