1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equiparition theorem, kinetic energy, temperatur

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    Hi,

according to the equipartition theorem

[itex]<p_k \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_k}> =k_bT[/itex] (where H depends on f generalized coodinates p and q and f is the number of degrees of freedom)

the temperature for a system of particles should be given by the result of the following derivation

[itex]<\sum_k^f p_k \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_k}> =\sum_k^f k_bT[/itex]
    <=>
    [itex]<\sum_k^f p_k \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_k}> = f k_b T[/itex]

now using [itex]f=3N-d[/itex] where N is the number of particles and d the number of 'constraints', one gets:
    [itex]<\sum_k^{3N-d} p_k \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_k}> = (3N-d) k_b T[/itex]

using [itex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial p_k}=2\frac{p_k}{2m}[/itex] one gets:
    [itex]<\sum_k^{3N-d} \frac{p_k^2}{2 m}> = \frac{3N-d}{2} k_b T[/itex]

however, the common result is:
    [itex]<\sum_k^{N} \frac{\vec p_k^2}{2 m}> = \frac{3N-d}{2} k_b T[/itex] (note, that p_k is a vector)

That is, what people seem to do is, they don't write the kinetic energy on the left hand side as a sum of the components p_k, but as a sum over the momentum vectors:
    [itex]<\sum_k^{N} \frac{\vec p_k^2}{2 m}>[/itex]

I don't see, how they manage the upper bound 3N-d of the sum. If the upper bound was only 3N, then the last equation for the kinetic energy would be obvious to me. That is, I would understand the following
    [itex]<\sum_k^{3N} \frac{p_k^2}{2 m}> = <\sum_k^{N} \frac{\vec p_k^2}{2 m}>[/itex]
    where the sum on the left hand side is going over the momentum components of all particles and the sum on the right hand side is going over the momentum-vectors of all particles.

but I don' t see, how people manage to get
    [itex]<\sum_k^{3N-d} \frac{p_k^2}{2 m}> = <\sum_k^{N} \frac{\vec p_k^2}{2 m}>[/itex]

for an example, please see page 11 of http://www.physics.buffalo.edu/phy411-506/topic3/lec-3-1.pdf [Broken] (where d=3)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Because, in the thermodynamic limit, N is of order 1023 and d is only 3.

4. Jul 13, 2011 #3
    i see, only an approximation...

thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook