Equivalence Principle & Geometry: Ben Crowell's General Relativity

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the equivalence principle, which states that the inertial and gravitational masses are equivalent, is necessary for a geometric treatment of space, time, and gravity. This is because a geometric theory requires that all objects, regardless of their composition, follow the same path when launched from the same place with the same velocity. Therefore, the equivalence principle allows us to treat the gravitational mass and inertial mass as equal, simplifying the geometric treatment of gravitation.
checksix
TL;DR Summary
why does geometric treatment of gravitation require equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass?
In the first sentence of Chapter 2 in Ben Crowell's "General Relativity" he states:

"The geometrical treatment of space, time, and gravity only requires as its basis the equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass".

This is stated as if it's an obvious fact, but I don't understand why. Why does a geometric treatment of gravitation require the equivalence principle? I must be missing something obvious. What am I missing here?

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
checksix said:
Why does a geometric treatment of gravitation require the equivalence principle? I must be missing something obvious. What am I missing here?
In Newtonian physics ##F=m_ia##, where ##m_i## is the inertial mass, and ##F=GMm_g/r^2##, where ##m_g## is the gravitational mass. Hence ##a\propto(m_g/m_i)##. One could imagine two materials that have different ratios of inertial and gravitational masses and hence that they would follow different paths even if launched from the same place at the same velocity.

But a geometric theory requires that two objects launched from the same place at the same velocity follow the same path. If they don't then it isn't just geometry that matters - what the objects are made of matters also. Hence we require that for a geometric theory ##m_g/m_i## is equal for all objects and we are free to pick units so that it is one.

Last edited:
Likes cianfa72, PeterDonis, A.T. and 1 other person
Got it. Thanks!

1. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This means that an observer in a uniform gravitational field would not be able to tell the difference between being in a stationary elevator on Earth and being in a rocket accelerating in outer space.

2. How does the Equivalence Principle relate to General Relativity?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in General Relativity. It is used to explain how gravity works on a large scale, such as the motion of planets and galaxies. General Relativity states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. What is the significance of Ben Crowell's work on General Relativity?

Ben Crowell is a physicist who has made significant contributions to the understanding of General Relativity. He has written several books on the subject, including "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" and "General Relativity: A First Introduction." His work has helped to make the complex concepts of General Relativity more accessible to a wider audience.

4. How does geometry play a role in General Relativity?

Geometry is a crucial part of General Relativity. The theory uses the mathematics of non-Euclidean geometry to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy. This allows us to understand how gravity works and make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.

5. Can you provide an example of how the Equivalence Principle and geometry work together in General Relativity?

An example of the Equivalence Principle and geometry in General Relativity is the bending of light by massive objects. According to the Equivalence Principle, the path of a beam of light is affected by gravity in the same way as the path of a moving object. In General Relativity, this is explained by the curvature of spacetime caused by the massive object, which bends the path of the light. This has been observed and confirmed through experiments, such as the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse.