1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence relation (geometry)

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##\mathbb{R}^2 = \{Q = (a,b) | a,b\in \mathbb{R}\}##. Prove that if ##q_1 = (a_1,b_1)## and ##q_2=(a_2,b_2)## are equivalent, meaning ##a_1^2+b_1^2 = a_2^2 +b_2^2##, then this gives an equivalence relation on ##\mathbb{R}^2##. What is ##[(1,0)], [(0,1)],[(2,2)],[(0,0)]?## What does an equivalence class look like?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do the first part with the equivalence relation but I am not sure how to do the second part of the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what you are asking about. I assume [(0,1)] means the equivalence class of (0,1). What does that look like?

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3
    Yes, it is the equivalence class but I don't understand how it looks like. Is it just a unit circle?

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yes. If (x,y) is related to (0,1) then x^2+y^2=0^2+1^2=1. That's the equation of the unit circle.

6. Jan 20, 2014 #5
    Gotcha and that goes for (1,0) which will be a circle centered at 0 with radius 1 and how about (2,2)?

7. Jan 20, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's pretty similar to the other one, isn't it? You tell me what kind of circle it is.

8. Jan 21, 2014 #7
    I understand now. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted