Equivalent capacitance A hard one?

In summary, the homework statement says that calculating equivalent capacitance between two capacitors can be difficult. The attempt at a solution suggests finding those that can be treated as just parallel or just in series, calculating their equivalent capacitance, and then treating them as one capacitor. There are several different routes that could be taken, but the most simplified would be to add one capacitor and assume a voltage is applied across terminals a and b.
PwnagePanda
Equivalent capacitance... A hard one!?

Homework Statement

Calculate Equivalent capacitance between A and B:
[PLAIN]http://scsupport.org/moodle/file.php/13/Chapter26/imgch26q14.gif
EDIT: If you can't see the picture, see 3rd post for file attachment, sorry!

Homework Equations

C1 = 3.55 µF
C2 = 1.90 µF

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for equivalent capacitance with capacitors in series and parallel, but not both at the same time! Unless I'm seeing the problem wrong this is a complicated problem that I have never seen before! My mind is blown...

Any help at how to approach this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hard to help without seeing a picture - but usual approach is to simplify the task by finding those that can be treated as just parallel or just in series, calculating their equivalent capacitance - and then treat them as one capacitor.

Shoot, is the picture not showing up for you guys? It must've been cached in my browser and not visible to you guys since it requires a login. Diagram attached to this reply.

C1 = 3.55 µF
C2 = 1.90 µF

Attachments

• imgch26q14.gif
    imgch26q14.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 755
Last edited:

If you know how to do it as resistors, then treat each as a resistor with value 1/(k.C) if you prefer.

Once you have a value for that 'resistance', 'X', reconvert it to C ( = 1/k.X)

I suggest redrawing the circuit more symmetrically for yourself to reviel the role played by the 8 uF capacitor that is neither in series nor parallel with any other capacitor.

You could use a Delta-Y transformation on one of the Δ configurations and then proceed as usual to identify parallel and serial opportunities.

Or you could slap a voltage source V between a and b, creating a third loop, and solve the mesh equations for the current being driven by that source. The impedance of the circuit is then V/I. I'd start by assigning symbols Z1, Z2, Z3 to the capacitor impedances and finding a symbolic result... you may find that the result has an obvious form that you can exploit.

Applying KVL to the circuit, could something be said about Vc in relation to V1 and V2 (Vc is the voltage across the 8µF capacitor)? Looking at several different routes, I think I found a result that would massively simplify this problem.

Nytik said:
Applying KVL to the circuit, could something be said about Vc in relation to V1 and V2 (Vc is the voltage across the 8µF capacitor)? Looking at several different routes, I think I found a result that would massively simplify this problem.

Could be! :wink:

I'm not exactly sure how to apply KVL to the circuit because there's no voltage source.

PwnagePanda said:
I'm not exactly sure how to apply KVL to the circuit because there's no voltage source.

For purposes of analysis it's perfectly acceptable to add one as long as it doesn't change the results. You can assume a voltage Vab is applied across terminals a and b. It won't change the impedance.

What is equivalent capacitance?

Equivalent capacitance refers to the total capacitance of a circuit or system that has multiple capacitors connected in various configurations. It is a simplification of the overall capacitance value and is often used in circuit analysis.

How do you calculate equivalent capacitance?

The method for calculating equivalent capacitance depends on the specific configuration of the capacitors. In series, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the inverse of the sum of the inverse of each individual capacitance. In parallel, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of all the individual capacitances.

What is the purpose of calculating equivalent capacitance?

Calculating equivalent capacitance is important in circuit analysis as it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall capacitance and behavior of a system with multiple capacitors.

Can equivalent capacitance be negative?

No, equivalent capacitance cannot be negative. Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electric charge, and it can never have a negative value. If the equivalent capacitance is calculated to be negative, it is likely an error in the calculation or a sign that the circuit is not physically realizable.

How does the configuration of capacitors affect equivalent capacitance?

The configuration of capacitors greatly affects the equivalent capacitance. In series, the equivalent capacitance will always be less than the smallest individual capacitance, whereas in parallel, the equivalent capacitance will always be greater than each individual capacitance. This is due to the different ways that capacitors are connected and how they interact with each other.