1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent capaticnace, charge, voltage

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the equivalent capacitance of the circuit below. Also determine the charge of each capacitor and the potential difference across each capacitor.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2616/physicss.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Q=VC

Parallel Ceq = C1+C2+C3
    V1=V2=V3
    Q=Q1+Q2+Q3

Series Ceq = (1/Ceq)=(1/C1)+(1/C2)+(1/C3)
    Q1=Q2=Q3
    V=V1+V2+V3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I sort of figured out the equivalent capacitance. Adding the 3 in parallel as well as the two in series on the right side, you get 13 across the top and (35/12) on the right side. Then adding the 8 and (35/12) in parallel, you get (131/12). How do I figure out capacitance from there?

I *should* be able to figure out charge/voltage from there and if not, will come back.

Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

All I can say is don't stop there. Now all you have left is the 13 capacitor and the 131/12 capacitor in series. Clearly you know what to do.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    Well, I wasn't sure if it was in series or not. I don't know why, but for some reason my mind kept telling me that it wasn't a series connector.

I guess I just needed some reassurance. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook