1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Resistance (Prep for Lab on DC circuits)

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the circuit shown to answer the following questions. At time t = 0 the switch in the circuit is closed. Answer the following questions after the switch in the circuit is closed.
    2cwq6hg.gif

What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit given R1 = 5 , R2 = 5 , R3 = 4 , R4 = 5 , R5 = 1 and R6 = 2 and a 2 V battery?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{1}{R_{eq}}=\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2}+...[/itex] for parallel
    [itex]R_{eq}=R_1+R_2+...+R_n[/itex] for series

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, this didn't seem too complicated to me but all of my attempts have resulted in incorrect answers. The way I am seeing it is that [itex]R_4[/itex] and [itex]R_6[/itex] are parallel, and that the equivalent resistance of these two resistors are in series with the rest of the resistors. Here's my attempt:

[itex]\frac{1}{R_{46}}=\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{2}=0.7Ω[/itex] Now, the reciprocal of this is ≈1.43Ω which gives the equivalent resistance of resistors 4 and 6.
    It seems like a simple matter here to add up this equivalent resistance to the rest of the resistors in series: 1.43+5+5+4+1=16.43Ω

Am I incorrect in my parallel/series diagnosis? I have tried several other options, which I won't type up here, but if my diagnosis is wrong I will offer up my other thoughts. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2
    No, the equivalent of R_3, R_4 and R_5 is in parallel with R_6.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    Recalculating. Hadn't seen a resistor setup like that. I'm not sure I understand why they are in parallel. Is it because there is no wire between, i.e. they are connected to each other?

Edit: Ok, that worked like a charm. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook