Why Does Matlab Say Matrix Must Be Square When Using mpower?

In summary, the code being run on Matlab is causing an error due to incompatible dimensions in the multiplication operation. To fix this, the code should use elementwise operations, either by using .* instead of * or by transposing one of the operands. Additionally, debugging the equations and using the size function can help identify and solve the issue.
MathewsMD
When running the following code on Matlab:

>> y(i) = y(i-1) + (0.5 * y.^3 * exp(t^2 + t))*h

I get the error:

? Error using ==> mpower
Matrix must be square.

It seems fairly simple but I'm not quite sure what I'm overlooking. Any help with regards to what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've gotten to:

>> y(i) = y(i-1) + (0.5 * y.^3 * exp(t.^2 + t))*h
? Error using ==> mtimes
Inner matrix dimensions must agree.

But the code still seems to be invalid.

Isn't y.^3 * exp(t.^2 + t) trying to multiply two row vectors y.^3 times exp(t.^2 + t)? You need to transpose one of them or do element wise multiplication.
P.S. To debug equations, try small part calculations and see which ones abort. Also, the size function helps you see what the dimensions are.

Use .^ and .* instead of ^ and *. The former perform elementwise operations, which is what you want here I believe.

* works fine if at least one operand is a scalar. But if you have two vectors, or a mixture of vectors and matrices, then they need to have compatible dimensions to use * (common inner dimension, i.e. NxM * MxP)

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your error code in Matlab. I understand that you are trying to run the code:

y(i) = y(i-1) + (0.5 * y.^3 * exp(t^2 + t))*h

and you are receiving the error message:

? Error using ==> mpower
Matrix must be square.

Based on the error message, it seems that the issue may be with the dimensions of the matrix or vector that you are using in your code. The mpower function in Matlab is used for matrix exponentiation, which requires the matrix to be square (equal number of rows and columns).

In your code, you are using the variable "y" in the expression "y.^3", which suggests that "y" may be a vector rather than a square matrix. This may be causing the error. I would suggest checking the dimensions of "y" and making sure it is a square matrix before using the mpower function.

Additionally, it may be helpful to check the dimensions of all the variables used in the expression and make sure they are compatible with each other. This could also help identify the source of the error.

I hope this helps. If you continue to have trouble, please provide more information about your code and the values of the variables used so that I can further assist you. Good luck!

1. What is an error code in Matlab?

An error code in Matlab is a numerical or alphanumeric code that is generated when an error occurs during the execution of a program. It is used to identify the type of error and can help in troubleshooting and debugging the code.

2. How can I find the meaning of an error code in Matlab?

You can find the meaning of an error code in Matlab by looking it up in the official Matlab documentation. The documentation provides a comprehensive list of all the error codes and their meanings.

3. What are common causes of error codes in Matlab?

Some common causes of error codes in Matlab include syntax errors, memory-related issues, undefined variables, and incorrect use of functions or operators. Other factors such as hardware or software compatibility issues can also contribute to error codes.

4. How can I troubleshoot and fix error codes in Matlab?

To troubleshoot and fix error codes in Matlab, you can start by checking the code for any syntax errors or undefined variables. You can also use debugging tools such as the MATLAB Debugger or the Profiler to identify the specific line of code that is causing the error. Additionally, you can consult the official documentation or seek help from online forums and communities.

5. Can I prevent error codes from occurring in Matlab?

While it is not possible to completely prevent error codes from occurring in Matlab, you can minimize their likelihood by writing well-structured code, using debugging tools, and regularly testing your code. It is also important to keep your software and hardware up to date to avoid compatibility issues.