Error floors in this Bayesian analysis

In summary, the authors of this article use a Bayesian analysis with markov chain monte carlo chains to estimate error floors in the positions of astrophysical bodies. They introduce a new algorithm utilizing the Hamiltonian Monte Carlo sampler to efficiently explore the typical set of complex and high-dimensional spaces. This method also allows for the inclusion of error floor parameters in the model, removing a source of systematic uncertainty and improving the precision of previous measurements. Section 4 of the paper provides a detailed outline and references for further understanding of the method.
Artemisa
TL;DR Summary
It is not clear to me how the estimation of the floor errors is made in this article (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.04581.pdf).
In this article((https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.04581.pdf)), the authors use a Bayesian analysis based on the positions of astrophysical bodies and their errors in the medians. This statistical analysis uses the markov chain monte carlo chains.

The uncertainties in the positions are large, so what they do is an analysis to estimate the floor errors.

My Doubt is
How do they get these error floors?
Could someone give me some reference or provide an example of how to do it?

Thank you very much for your attention

Technology news on Phys.org
Artemisa said:
How do they get these error floors?
Could someone give me some reference or provide an example of how to do it?
I have only skimmed the paper but section 4 at the top of page 9 seems to provide an outline with suitable references to follow up:
in this work we introduce instead a new algorithm utilizing the Hamiltonian Monte Carlo (HMC; Neal 2012) sampler implemented in PyMC36 (Salvatier et al. 2016). HMC methods take advantage of the posterior geometry to efficiently explore the "typical set" (i.e., the region containing the bulk of the probability mass) even in complex and high-dimensional spaces; see Betancourt (2017) for a concise overview of HMC. In addition to increased sampling effciency, the primary improvement provided by the new disk-fitting code is the ability to fit for the "error floor" parameters as part of the model, thereby removing a source of systematic uncertainty that has limited the precision of previous MCP measurements.

1. What is an error floor in Bayesian analysis?

An error floor in Bayesian analysis refers to the lowest possible error rate that can be achieved, even with an optimal decision-making process. It is the point at which the error rate cannot be reduced any further, regardless of the amount of data or complexity of the analysis.

2. Why do error floors occur in Bayesian analysis?

Error floors occur in Bayesian analysis due to the presence of noise or uncertainty in the data being analyzed. This noise can lead to incorrect assumptions or incomplete information, resulting in a minimum level of error that cannot be eliminated.

3. How can error floors be minimized in Bayesian analysis?

Error floors can be minimized in Bayesian analysis by using more accurate and reliable data, improving the quality of the model used, and considering additional factors that may impact the analysis. It is also important to regularly review and update the analysis to account for any changes in the data or underlying assumptions.

4. What are the consequences of error floors in Bayesian analysis?

The consequences of error floors in Bayesian analysis can include inaccurate or unreliable results, which can lead to incorrect conclusions or decisions. It can also impact the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the analysis, as more effort and resources may be required to achieve the desired level of accuracy.

5. How can error floors be identified in Bayesian analysis?

Error floors can be identified in Bayesian analysis by comparing the results of the analysis to the expected error rate and determining if there is a significant difference. Additionally, conducting sensitivity analyses and identifying potential sources of error can help identify and address error floors in the analysis.