Error on p228 Of D.Lay's Linear Algebra

In summary, there is an inaccuracy in the third edition of David C. Lay's Linear Algebra and its Applications regarding the use of "thus" in the statement "Every linear combination of u, v, and w is an element of Nul A. Thus, {u, v, w} is a spanning set for Nul A." This can be seen by considering a specific case where {u, v, w} is a basis for Nul A, but {u, v} is not a basis for Nul A, contradicting the statement. It is suggested to specify the dimensions of null A, the inclusion of u, v, and w in null A, and the linear independence of u, v, and w
Wesleytf

Homework Statement

Not so much a problem, just an error I noticed... It's in the third edition (and update of the third edition) of David C. Lay's Linear Algebra and its Applications.

Homework Equations

p.228, last sentence:
"Every linear combination of u, v, and w is an element of Nul A. Thus, {u, v, w} is a spanning set for Nul A."

The Attempt at a Solution

The "thus" is incorrect--I think what he's trying to say is that every element of Nul A is a linear combination of u, v and w. Thus, {u, v, w} is a spanning set for Nul A.

As stated, I think it is false.
For instance, take this case:

Given: {u, v, w} is a basis for Nul A

Superimpose his statement:
Every linear combination of u and v is an element of Nul A.
Thus, {u, v} is a spanning set for Nul A. (--><--) (contradiction).

I found this while doing the reading for class several weeks back. I looked online and I couldn't find any errata for this book--does anyone know of any other errors in the book? Anyone disagree that this is incorrect, or at least unclear?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with the statement in the book, although it could be fleshed out by saying
1. dim(null A) = 3.
2. u, v, and w are in null A.
3. u, v, and w are linearly independent.

If we understand these to be true, then what you said does not necessarily follow.
You have u and v in null A.
u and v are linearly independent.
But {u, v} is not a basis for null (A) and hence doesn't span null A, since there aren't enough vectors to form a basis.

My objection is not to the truth of the statement that those vectors span the Nul space--in the book, that's exactly what's presented. It's the use of "thus" that is inaccurate. The statement I presented afterwards was just meant to show how the argument that the equivalent statement "because the L.C.s of the vectors are elements, they span" is incorrect. That is what the "thus" implies, and I think this is where the mistake is. If you look at the statement independently, it seems that is has to be incorrect.

I agree that the "thus" clause doesn't follow from the hypothesis.

What is the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra?

The error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra is a mistake or incorrect information that has been published in the book. This could be a mathematical error, a typo, or a misinterpretation of a concept.

How was the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra discovered?

The error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra was most likely discovered by a reader or reviewer of the book who noticed the mistake while reading or studying the content.

What are the consequences of the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra?

The consequences of the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra can vary depending on the severity of the mistake. It could lead to confusion or misunderstanding for readers, or it could affect the accuracy of calculations or proofs using the incorrect information.

Has the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra been corrected?

If the error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra has been discovered and reported, it is likely that the author or publisher has corrected it in subsequent editions of the book. However, if the error has not been reported, it may still exist in the current version of the book.

How can I report an error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra?

If you have noticed an error on page 228 of D.Lay's Linear Algebra, you can report it to the author or publisher through their website or contact information. You can also reach out to other readers or experts in the field to verify the error and bring it to the attention of the author or publisher.