Error propagation - inverse of an error

In summary: And you can see that if you do the binomial expansion, the next term, (2%)2, is only 0.0004, much smaller than 0.02.Yes. And you can see that if you do the binomial expansion, the next term, (2%)2, is only 0.0004, much smaller than 0.02.
emeraldskye177

Homework Statement

Let t = f(g, h, A, Δm, Γ, r). For t = 2 s, the propagated error is σ = 0.02 s.

Can the error of 1/t2 be simply determined using the known error in t = (2 ± 0.02) s, or must the variance formula (with all the partial derivatives and errors of each dependent variable) be re-derived?

Homework Equations

When squaring a quantity with an error, the new %error of the square is half the old %error.

I don't know how to find the inverse of an error (tried looking it up online but can't seem to find it).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
t2 = (22 ± 1% / 2) s = (4 ± 0.5%) s

1/t2 = ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emeraldskye177 said:

Homework Statement

Let t = f(g, h, A, Δm, Γ, r). For t = 2 s, the propagated error is σ = 0.02 s.

Can the error of 1/t2 be simply determined using the known error in t = (2 ± 0.02) s, or must the variance formula (with all the partial derivatives and errors of each dependent variable) be re-derived?

Homework Equations

When squaring a quantity with an error, the new %error of the square is half the old %error.

I don't know how to find the inverse of an error (tried looking it up online but can't seem to find it).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
t2 = (22 ± 1% / 2) s = (4 ± 0.5%) s

1/t2 = ?
It's not hard to figure out. If the fractional error in x as a measure of X is ε then X is x(1+/-ε). So 1/X is 1/(x(1+/-ε))=(1/x)(1+/-ε)-1.
You can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+/-ε)-1 and find the fractional error in 1/X.

haruspex said:
It's not hard to figure out. If the fractional error in x as a measure of X is ε then X is x(1+/-ε). So 1/X is 1/(x(1+/-ε))=(1/x)(1+/-ε)-1.
You can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+/-ε)-1 and find the fractional error in 1/X.
So, by what you're saying,

t = 2 ± 0.02 = 2 ± 1% = 2 × ( 1 ± 0.5% ) ...or should this be 2 × ( 1 ± 1% ) i.e. do I factor the 2 out of the error?

t
2 = 4 ± 0.5% = 4 × ( 1 ± ( 0.5% / 4 ) ) ...or should this be 4 × ( 1 ± 0.5% ) i.e. do I factor the 4 out of the error?

1/t2 = 1 / ( 4 × ( 1 ± ( 0.5% / 4 ) ) ) = ( 4 ± 0.5% )-1

Did I follow you correctly?

Last edited:
emeraldskye177 said:
should this be 2 × ( 1 ± 1% )
Yes. 2±0.02=2(1±0.01)

haruspex said:
Yes. 2±0.02=2(1±0.01)
So

t = 2 ± 1% = 2 * (1 ± 1%)

t2 = 4 ± 0.5% = 4 * (1 ± 0.5%)

1/t2 = 0.25 * (1 ± 0.5%)-1

How do I binomially expand something to the power of -1?

haruspex said:
No. How do you get that?
I think your ± X% notation is confusing you. Try writing it in factor form. Instead of mean value ± Percentage% write (mean value)(1± Percentage%). Thus, t=2(1± 0.01), so t2=4(1± 0.01)2=4(1± 0.02) approximately.
For negative powers, see e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_theorem#Newton.27s_generalized_binomial_theorem
Sorry I just realized I was making a silly mistake. Since I was squaring t, I should've been doubling the %error (for some reason I was thinking of the rule for taking the square root, in which case the %error is halved). So you are correct; if t = 2 ± 1% then

t2 = 4 ± 2% = 4 * (1 ± 2%) = 4 * (1 ± 0.02)

I checked out the article... for (t2)-1 looks like I'm adding/subtracting powers of t for infinity? I don't know what to make of that. I'm studying computer engineering, I'm not that great at theoretical math.

Last edited:
emeraldskye177 said:
looks like I'm adding/subtracting powers of t for infinity?
Yes, but the terms get rapidly smaller for small values of the error inside the (). You only need to use the first two, the '1' and the next term.
So (1+x)-1 is approximately 1-x.

haruspex said:
Yes, but the terms get rapidly smaller for small values of the error inside the (). You only need to use the first two, the '1' and the next term.
So (1+x)-1 is approximately 1-x.
So, for |x| << 1,

(1 - x)-1 = 1 + x, correct?

So (1 ± x)-1 = 1 ± x

So in my example,

t2 = 4 ± 2% = 4 * (1 ± 2%)

1/t2 = 0.25 * (1 ± 2%)-1 = 0.25 * (1 ± 2%) = 0.25 ± 2% = 0.25 ± 0.005

Is my final answer (bolded) correct?

emeraldskye177 said:
So, for |x| << 1,

(1 - x)-1 = 1 + x, correct?

So (1 ± x)-1 = 1 ± x

So in my example,

t2 = 4 ± 2% = 4 * (1 ± 2%)

1/t2 = 0.25 * (1 ± 2%)-1 = 0.25 * (1 ± 2%) = 0.25 ± 2% = 0.25 ± 0.005

Is my final answer (bolded) correct?
Yes.

What is error propagation?

Error propagation is the process of estimating the uncertainty or error in a calculated quantity based on the uncertainties or errors in the measured quantities used in the calculation.

What is the inverse of an error?

The inverse of an error is the uncertainty or error in a calculated quantity when the original quantity is known with a certain level of uncertainty.

How is error propagation calculated?

Error propagation is typically calculated using the formula for the standard deviation, which involves taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the uncertainties in the measured quantities.

Why is error propagation important in scientific research?

Error propagation is important because it allows scientists to properly quantify and communicate the uncertainty in their experimental results, making their findings more reliable and reproducible.

What are some sources of error in error propagation?

Sources of error in error propagation can include measurement errors, limitations of equipment, human error, and assumptions made in the calculation process.