Error while calculating arc length of curve in Fortran

The program must calculate the length of the curve of ƒ=3.1*x^2-5.3/x between x=1/2 and x=3/2.The legth should be calculated as the sum of n line segments starting with n=1 and ending with n=20.

I really can't find why the result I'm getting is wrong.Thanks in advance
I am giving you the code below:

Fortran:
program pr2_ex2
implicit none
integer::x
double precision::dy,dx !dy=the height of the linear part & dx=the lenght of the linear part
double precision::x1,x2,s !f=f(x) the function,x=the values which can be given to f
double precision::length 
  print*,"Please enter the function's starting point"
  read*,x1
  print*,"Please enter the function's ending  point"
  read*,x2
length=0
  s=0
do x=2,21
   dx=((x*abs(x2-x1)-(x-1)*abs(x2-x1))/(20))
   dy=(3.1*(x*abs(x2-x1)/20)**2-(5.3*20/x*abs(x2-x1)))-(3.1*((x-1)*abs(x2-x1)/20)**2-(5.3*20/(x-1)*abs(x2-x1)))
   length=sqrt((dx**2)+(dy**2))
   s=length+s
   end do
   print*,s
end program

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What is the result you're getting that you say is wrong?

"Lenght" being a misspelling of "length"?

Well if for x1=0.5 and for x2=1.5 I am getting 104.3853... That can't be right since I've checked it in wolframalpha and it says 13

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The program must calculate the lenght of the curve of ƒ=3.1*x^2-5.3/x between x=1/2 and x=3/2.The leght should be calculated as the sum of n line segments starting with n=1 and ending with n=20.
EDIT: My reading of this is that it needs a program to print out 20 answers, one answer for each value of n.

I can see your program prints only one answer, right at the end, so that might be where you are going wrong?

How would you explain to someone what n is in this situation, to show you understand what this calculation is about?

Last edited:
My reading of this is that your program will print out 20 answers, one answer for each value of n.

I can see your program prints only one answer, right at the end, so that might be where you are going wrong?

How would you explain to someone what n is in this situation, to show you understand what this calculation is about?
Well I think the curve's x's from x1 to x2 can be divided to 20 equidistant x's with every n to be used to get to the next x.Xn=abs(x2-x1)*x/20 and X(n-1)=(x-1)*(abs(x2-x1)/20).Therefore if I subtract Xn,X(n-1),I will be getting the distance between consecutive X's.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well I think the curve's x's from x1 to x2 can be divided to 20 equidistant x's with every n to be used to get to the next x.Xn=abs(x2-x1)*x/20 and X(n-1)=(x-1)*(abs(x2-x1)/20).Therefore if I subtract Xn,X(n-1),I will be getting the distance between consecutive X's.
That would be the case for n=20. But, for example, when n=16 then there would be 16 segments spanning the path between those same two endpoints. That's what I think. The greater the value of n, the closer to the true length will be your approximation.

I am aware of that,although that can't be the problem the bigger the n the more my sum goes up.And the problem states that it should be able to work with just n=20,which doesn't in my case.Therefore I assume the problem is associated with my code.Nevermind thanks for your suggestion

DrClaude
Mentor
dy=(3.1*(x*abs(x2-x1)/20)**2-(5.3*20/x*abs(x2-x1)))-(3.1*((x-1)*abs(x2-x1)/20)**2-(5.3*20/(x-1)*abs(x2-x1)))
When you write 5.3*20/x*abs(x2-x1), it means
$$
5.3 \times \frac{20}{x} \times \left| x_2 - x_1 \right|
$$
which is not what you want.

You should create a function that given x, returns f(x), instead of hard-coding it many times. Also, do not use x as an integer index for the loop. It looks too much like the mathematical variable x. Use something like i instead.

The program must calculate the length of the curve of ƒ=3.1*x^2-5.3/x between x=1/2 and x=3/2.The legth should be calculated as the sum of n line segments starting with n=1 and ending with n=20.

I really can't find why the result I'm getting is wrong.Thanks in advance
I am giving you the code below:

Fortran:
program pr2_ex2
implicit none
integer::x
double precision::dy,dx !dy=the height of the linear part & dx=the lenght of the linear part
double precision::x1,x2,s !f=f(x) the function,x=the values which can be given to f
double precision::length
  print*,"Please enter the function's starting point"
  read*,x1
  print*,"Please enter the function's ending  point"
  read*,x2
length=0
  s=0
do x=2,21
   dx=((x*abs(x2-x1)-(x-1)*abs(x2-x1))/(20))
   length=sqrt((dx**2)+(dy**2))
   s=length+s
   end do
   print*,s
end program
Nicholas, your code is chock full of what are disparagingly called "magic" numbers, constants that are hard-coded. The number of subintervals should be a variable that the user enters, and not sprinkled throughout in your loop ending value and your assignment statements for dx and dy.

As already suggested, your code would be a lot more readable if you used a function to calculate the y values.

Fortran:
function f(x)
   double precision :: f
   double precision ::x

f = 3.1 * x**2 - 5.3/x
   return
end function
The only change to your main program would be to insert a declaration for the function up near the top:
Fortran:
program pr2_ex2
implicit none
double precision:: f
To use the function, write an expression of the form f(x1).

One more thing -- you really shouldn't use x as your loop control variable. Use i or j for that.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers!! I will be using your advice for sure in my code and see how it goes

I put together some Python code to do this calculation. With n = 20 and n = 100 subintervals, I got 13.3059 in the first four decimal places.