In summary, the speaker has been working on equations for planetary escape velocity and gravitational force, with data provided for three planets and plans to practice with more. They have confirmed the escape velocities but are looking for sources to check their work on the gravitational force. They have provided links to images and equations used, and have found Wolframalpha to be a helpful resource. A conversation partner has also suggested using Wolframalpha to check the force between Neptune and the sun.
Zack Davis
Hey Guys!
I've been doing a few equations in regards to planetary escape velocity and gravitational force.
The below links have the escape velocity of listed planet on the left side of the board, the gravitational force between the Sun and given planet on the right side. In the middle of the board I provide the data i used within the equations. I only did 3 planets but i plan on practicing more using the other 5 planets and I may even include Pluto. I have confirmed all the escape velocities using NASA's data tables but I can't find any sources to check my work on the gravitational force between said planet and the sun. So, I was wondering if some generous person out there could check my work.
Here are the links: (You can click on the picture to enlarge it)
Saturn:
http://imgur.com/2jtiEqO
Uranus:
http://imgur.com/fofuMGk
Neptune:
http://imgur.com/XbtUlvr
All equations are listed on the board, all math was calculated through Wolframalpha.com
Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
e.bar.goum said:
Looks fine to me! I agree with your answers to one or two sig fig, I presume we've used slightly different values.

One way to check could have been to ask wolframalpha to do it!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Force between neptune and sun
Whoa! I had no idea Wolframalpha could do that! Thank you!

No worries!

It constantly surprises me what it can do. Of course, it's always best to calculate by hand when you're learning a concept, but it's a very useful check!

Hello,

It's great to see that you are practicing and exploring planetary escape velocity and gravitational force equations. It's always important to check and confirm your work, especially when it comes to scientific calculations.

I took a look at your equations and data, and it seems like you have done a good job. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. As for the gravitational force between the Sun and each planet, you can use the equation F = G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2), m1 is the mass of the Sun, m2 is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance between the Sun and the planet.

I also recommend checking out some online resources or textbooks for more practice and verification. Keep up the good work and keep exploring the fascinating world of planetary dynamics!

What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed an object must reach to break free from the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or star.

How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance from the center of the larger body to the object.

What factors affect escape velocity?

The factors that affect escape velocity include the mass of the larger body, the distance from the center of the larger body, and the gravitational constant. The shape and composition of the object also play a role in determining the escape velocity.

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around a star and moons in orbit around a planet.

How is gravitational force calculated?

Gravitational force can be calculated using the formula F = (GmM)/r^2, where F is the gravitational force, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between their centers of mass.