Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ESD compliance for FR4 G10 material

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    Good day. I am facing a case where most of the wave pallet top catch using FR4 G10 material tested not compliance to ESD. Can anyone help to confirm whether the G10 material is definitely not ESD? Can you share the product specification for the material with the surface resistance value?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post links to the standards involved, and links to what the G10 variant of FR4 involves? FR4 fiberglass is non-conductive, so unless it has some other materials mixed into it, I don't see how it could be "ESD compliant" on its own. But, although I'm very familiar with ESD standards like EN 61000-4-2, I may not be familiar with whatever standard you are referring to.

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3
    Good day to you. I am refering to ANSI/ESD S20.20-2014, 8.3.1 Insulators (as per attachment). The technician measured the G10 of top catch at wave pallet using field meter, the result is >2000 volts.
    As you mention the FR4 is non-conductive, i am curious to know the material is dissipative/ antistatic/ insulative? Therefore, i want to find out the surface resistance value for the material.
    My final purpose is to find out whether we have selected wrong material for wave pallet or the material was degraded.

Attached Files:

5. Oct 25, 2016 #4

berkeman

Thanks for the link; I skimmed it but still do not understand your question (sorry).

What's a "wave pallet"?

Since FR4 is non-conductive, why do you want to use if for some component in ESD control? ESD dissipative materials that I'm familiar with usually have a resistivity of about 100kOhm to 1MOhm per square.

6. Oct 25, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FR4 is the stuff used to make printed circuit boards so it's going to be quite a good insulator. No specific anti static properties.

Google sugests Durostone or Ricocell might be better? Looks like you can also get FR4 with antistatic coatings/constituents.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  7. Oct 26, 2016 #6
    Hi.. wave pallet is a fixture to hold the PCBA when the assembly going through the wave soldering process. The material was common for industrial use so the company is using it and now found the issue. Thank you.

8. Oct 26, 2016 #7

berkeman

When a PCBA is going through wave solder, it is unpowered, so the risk of EOS is very low. Who is your expert consultant on this project? It seems like somebody is dropping the ball, or not willing to actually consult with a professional expert in the process/field.

9. Oct 26, 2016 #8
    Hi...G11 meet the ESD property but the price is higher than G10. Do you have any recommendation for FR4 antistatic coating or add in that permenantly change the G10 property to antistatic?

10. Oct 27, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry I don't.

11. Nov 6, 2016 #10

rbelli1

Gold Member

ESD is a problem powered or un-powered. You still damage the affected component even if you don't have any secondary damage due to malfunction or latch-up.

BoB

12. Nov 6, 2016 #11

berkeman

I guess this is true for moderate energy EOS sources (like static discharges). Most of the circuitry I work with is not very sensitive to unpowered EOS, but it does sometimes happen.

13. Nov 6, 2016 #12

rbelli1

Gold Member

Someone at work decided it would be a good idea to place the 2N7000 fets in a plastic drawer without any anti static protection. They died from sliding in the bottom of the drawer when it was opened and closed. It was unlikely there was any "ZAP" going on except maybe across the gate oxide.

BoB

14. Nov 6, 2016 #13

berkeman

Oh yikes! Yeah, plastic bad...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted