Estim. dark energy up by 3 percentage points. Any reaction?

In summary, Michael Turner recent paper finds that current observational data supports the existence of dark energy, and that the equation-of-state parameter is constrained to be within a narrow range, suggesting that the Universe began accelerating at redshift z ~ 0.4 and age t ~ 10 Gyr.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
When people cite the dark energy fraction informally (without errorbar) and other basic parameters they often have been saying something like

Hubble 71
dark energy 73%
dark matter 23%
baryonic 4%

If I remember right, those are the default values used in the calculator at Ned Wright's website.

Now in this 7 March paper by Michael Turner et al, right in the abstract up front I see

dark energy 76%
dark matter 20%
baryonic 4%

So are these new values that one should quote informally? Given the uncertainty it doesn't seem very different to say 76 instead of 73, but even though it is just a rough estimate I'd like to be aligned with the mainest of the stream---and keep the jarring dissonance to a minimum. So what numbers to you say?

Michael Turner recent:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.0982

Space news on Phys.org
Cosmology is a field I haven't studied in detail. I have only gone through it enough to know generally what cosmologist are talking about and why. For me my interest in cosmology is limited to what it can provide as a testing ground. Since I don't have any ideas (wild ass guesses) that require these parameters at the moment the ball park figure is fine with me. However, as a cosmologist, keeping abreast and using the best numbers from the best available data is important. Given the authors and the following quotes under "10.1 Take-home facts":

10.1.5 Current observational status. Taken together, all the current
data provide strong evidence for the existence of dark energy; they constrain
the fraction of critical density contributed by dark energy, 0.76 ± 0.02, and the
equation-of-state parameter, w ≈ −1 ± 0.1 (stat) ±0.1 (sys), assuming that w is
constant. This implies that the Universe began accelerating at redshift z ~ 0.4
and age t ~ 10 Gyr. These results are robust – data from anyone method can be
removed without compromising the constraints – and they are not substantially
weakened by dropping the assumption of spatial flatness. <snip>

I would go with these figures.

I don't really know where that figure has come from; I guess it depends on what data set you're using. I know the recent WMAP data had omega_lambda 0.74 on its own, and that shrunk to about 0.72 when including other data sets (namely the BAO and SN data). I've not read the Turner paper, though, so I can't really comment on that; perhaps someone else can?

The precise numbers still depend on which data sets are used. For instance see the series of tables http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/parameters.cfm" that show the values obtained using WMAP5 + many different combinations of other data. The best fit values for dark energy vary between 0.7 and almost 0.8 depending on which data sets are used!

There are a bunch of extensions to the basic LCDM such as non flat models, different dark energy models etc that are also covered.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is dark energy and why is it important?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 68% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the expansion of the universe and is important because it helps explain the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.

2. How is dark energy measured?

Dark energy is measured through various methods, including observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, supernovae, and the large-scale structure of the universe. These measurements allow scientists to estimate the amount of dark energy present in the universe.

3. What does it mean for dark energy to increase by 3 percentage points?

An increase of 3 percentage points in dark energy means that the amount of this mysterious energy in the universe has increased by 3% compared to previous measurements. This could have implications for our understanding of the universe's expansion and the role of dark energy in it.

4. What could be causing this increase in dark energy?

There are several theories about the potential cause of the increase in dark energy, but it is still largely unknown. Some theories suggest that it could be due to the properties of space itself, while others propose the existence of a new type of energy or force that is driving the expansion of the universe.

5. What are the implications of this increase in dark energy?

The increase in dark energy could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its future. It could potentially impact the fate of the universe and the possibility of a "Big Rip" scenario, where the expansion of the universe accelerates to the point of tearing apart all matter.