Estimating Debye Frequency from Dispersion Curves: What's the Proper Approach?

In summary, to estimate the Debye frequency from a graph of dispersion curves, you need to find the intersection point between the longitudinal and transverse acoustic curves and calculate the average speed of sound at that point. This can then be used to calculate the Debye frequency using the formula mentioned above.
gomboc
This is a short question from an old final exam I'm studying from.

If you're given the graph of the dispersion curves for some material (I attached an example, but pretend the axes have numerical values on them), how would I go about estimating the Debye frequency?

My initial thought was just to approximate it as the maximum frequency on that graph, and although that gives a fairly close result, my professor says it's not quite the right approach.

Please help!

(NB: the lettering in the image stands for transverse optical, longitudinal optical, transverse acoustic, longitudinal acoustic.)

Attachments

• dispersion.jpg
    dispersion.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
The proper approach for estimating the Debye frequency from the given graph is to calculate the average speed of sound in the material. The Debye frequency is then equal to the product of the average speed of sound and the density of the material. To calculate the average speed of sound, you need to find the intersection point between the longitudinal and transverse acoustic curves, and then calculate the average of the two velocities at this intersection point. Once you have these two values, the Debye frequency can be calculated using the formula: Debye frequency = Average speed of sound x density.

1. What is the Debye frequency?

The Debye frequency is a measure of the highest possible frequency of atomic vibrations in a solid material. It is named after physicist Peter Debye and is often denoted by the symbol ωD.

2. How is the Debye frequency calculated?

The Debye frequency can be calculated using the formula ωD = (6π2N/V)1/3c, where N is the number of atoms in the material, V is the volume, and c is the speed of sound in the material.

3. Why is the Debye frequency important?

The Debye frequency is important because it provides information about the energy levels and thermal properties of a material. It also helps in understanding the behavior of materials at low temperatures and in predicting their response to external stimuli.

4. How does the Debye frequency relate to the Debye temperature?

The Debye frequency and the Debye temperature (TD) are related through the equation ωD = kBTD/ℏ, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant. The Debye temperature is a measure of the average energy of atomic vibrations in a material.

5. Can the Debye frequency be experimentally determined?

Yes, the Debye frequency can be experimentally determined using techniques such as neutron scattering, X-ray diffraction, and inelastic scattering of light. These methods allow for the measurement of atomic vibrations and the determination of the Debye frequency for a given material.