Estimate the lifetime of the excited state that produced this line.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
stacker
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An atomic spectrum contains a line with a wavelength centered at 460 nm. Careful measurements show the line is really spread out between 459 and 461 nm.

Estimate the lifetime of the excited state that produced this line.

Homework Equations



Change in Frequency = Speed of light/Change in Wavelength

Time = The inverse of frequency

The Attempt at a Solution



Change in wavelength = 461nm -459 nm = 2 nm or 2x10^-9 meters

Change in frequency = speed of light/change in wavelength = (3x10^8)/(2x10^-9) = 1.5x10^17 in units of s^-1

Life time = 1/(1.5x10^17) = 6.7*10^-18 seconds

But this is wrong and I don't know where to go from here. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of your relevant equations is correct. For the first one, use ##\lambda_1 = c/f_1## and use ##\lambda_2 = c/f_2## and find what ##\lambda_1 - \lambda_2## equals. The second equation only applies if the time is the period of oscillation, which it isn't in this case.
 
Last edited:
I'd have had approached the problem differently but I might be totally wrong.
Let me write the following to vela (please do not read this OP!):
Hey vela :)
I'd have used HUP for that one. So instead of looking for the delta lambda, I'd have looked for delta E and then apply the HUP to get delta t.
What do you think about the approach?
 
Yeah, that's correct.