1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate time to reach steady state

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1

I have some first order differential equations. I have found the steady state response for each equation. However, now I need to estimate how long it will take to reach steady state.

Can anyone tell me the formula for that or get me started on how i go about doing this. I'm not finding anywhere in my textbook where it says or shows how to do this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try doing the following substitution on your DE. Say the function is y(x,t) and your steady state solution is s(x). Take your DE and replace y(x,t) with s(x)+u(x,t). Now your u(x,t) is the difference from the steady state.

To get an idea of how it changes with time, you might try, depending on your DE and whether this make sense, linearizing by eliminating all but the terms linear in u. That will probably allow you to put the DE into a form where an exponentially decaying sine wave is the solution. The answer could then be the rate of exponential decay in the sine wave.

That help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?