1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating a sum with an error of 0.00001 (solution included)

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1

s3a

The question and solution are both attached. I am stuck at the inequality between the sum and the integral right before stating that the integral's sum is 1/(4k^4).

I am confused as to how I should compare a sum and an integral. I know Integrals are defined as Riemann sums but, to be honest, I forgot about that stuff completely.

Basically, what's the logic behind the comparison?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• P11.jpg
      P11.jpg
      File size:
      15.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the pictures here. http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/IntegralTest.aspx The series in this case represents the area of the rectangles that are below the curve. So the area of the curve (which you can compute with an integral) is greater than the sum of the series. It's important here that 1/x^5 is decreasing and positive, so the rectangles lie below the curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook