Estimating area with finite sums

In summary, the midpoint rule is used to estimate the area under a curve by dividing it into equal segments and finding the midpoint of each segment. By using two rectangles with bases of equal width, the area under the curve can be approximated. In this conversation, the midpoint rule is demonstrated for the function f(x) = 7/x from [1,25].
chops369

Homework Statement

Use the midpoint rule to estimate the area under the graph of f(x) = 7/x and above the graph of f(x) = 0 from [1,25] using two rectangles of equal width.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found [tex]\Delta[/tex]x by using (b-a) / n and got (25 - 1) / 2 = 12.

Then I usually proceed by drawing out a number line from 1 to 25 and dividing it up into my 2 segments, each being 12 units wide, i.e. 1---12---25.

Here's where I get stuck. For some odd reason, this midpoint rule throws me off like crazy. I completely understand the left/right endpoint rule, and would have breezed through this problem if it were either of these. This sounds really, really stupid, but I'm not sure how to find the midpoint of each segment without making a mistake. In class we've only gone through examples where each segment is 3 units wide, so the midpoint is very obvious (i.e. 1-3, the midpoint would be 2). How do I do this accurately?

In my mind, I'm thinking that finding the midpoint of each 2 segments would be the same as dividing 1 to 25 into 4 equal parts, so my xi values would be 6 and 18. But when I use these to calculate my area estimate, my answer doesn't match my textbook's. What am I doing wrong, and is there a quick and easy way to find a midpoint that isn't obvious? I feel like I'm over complicating things.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you found the length of each rectangle (12) but remember it is 12 from 1 not 12 from 0 (hopefully that makes sense).

You would then have 1...13...25. Can you finish from here?

iamalexalright said:
Well, you found the length of each rectangle (12) but remember it is 12 from 1 not 12 from 0 (hopefully that makes sense).

You would then have 1...13...25. Can you finish from here?
Oh, ok. I see what you're saying about the lengths.

So would my midpoints be 7 and 19? What I'm trying to get at is if there's a really easy mathematical way to get the midpoints of these segments. At this point I'm basically being really methodical about it, using my elementary school techniques for finding the median of a set of numbers.

Yes, those are the midpoints. Now, you approximate the "area under the curve" as the area of two rectangles, each having base 12, the first with height f(7) and the second with height f(19).

1. What is finite sum?

Finite sum is a mathematical concept that involves adding a finite number of terms in a sequence. It is used to approximate the value of an infinite sum or series.

2. Why is estimating area with finite sums important?

Estimating area with finite sums allows us to find the approximate area of a shape or region without using complex equations. It is a useful tool in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

3. How does one estimate area with finite sums?

To estimate area with finite sums, we divide the shape or region into smaller, simpler shapes such as rectangles or triangles. We then calculate the area of each shape and add them together to get an approximate total area.

4. What are the limitations of estimating area with finite sums?

Estimating area with finite sums is an approximation and may not give an exact value. The accuracy of the estimation depends on the number of shapes used and the complexity of the shape being approximated.

5. Can finite sums be used to estimate the area of irregular shapes?

Yes, finite sums can be used to estimate the area of irregular shapes by dividing the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and summing their areas. However, the accuracy of the estimation may decrease for highly irregular shapes.