1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating the integral of a decreasing trigonometric function

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    Hi,

So this is part of an assignment for my numerical analysis class.

The integral is this:

[tex]

\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x} \cos^2 (x^2) dx

[/tex]

We are instructed to evaluate the integral from 0 to some large A using numerical methods (which I'm fine with), and then estimate the tail, ie the integral from A to infinity.

Basically we need to come up with some method to estimate and bound the remainder in the tail.
    My idea was to substitute [tex] u = x^2 [/tex] which gives [tex] \int_A^{\infty} \frac{e^{- \sqrt{u}} \cos^2(u)}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]
    and then I guess take the maximum of the cos function as 1 and just remove it, and use the remaining function, which I think would be quite easy to integrate and would give a maximum bound.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Adam
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see why you just don't use cos(x^2)^2<=1 to get a bound on the tail. But sure, you can do it that way too.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. Nov 21, 2013 #3
    Yeah I just realised that my way is retarded and ends up with the exact same result.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted