Estimating the sum of reciprocal powers using a given fourier series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
buffordboy23
Messages
545
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Let f(x) be defined by the following Fourier series for [tex]\left|x\right|[/tex]:

[tex]f(x) = \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{4}{\pi}\sum_{1,3,...}\frac{cos\left(nx\right)}{n^{2}}[/tex]

Show that

[tex]\sum_{1,3,...}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_{1,2,3,...}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I was able to find the first sum by letting x = 0. I don't now how to approach the second part since the sum consists of the odd and even n integers, but the Fourier series is only comprised of the odd integers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out, or at least obtained a really close approximation.

Multiplying 1/4 to both sides of

[tex]\sum_{1,3,...}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{8}[/tex]

will yield the sum for the terms 2, 6, 10, ...

[tex]\sum_{2,6,10,...}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{32}[/tex]

Now multiplying this sum by 1/4 gives the terms 4, 8, 12,...

[tex]\sum_{4,8,12,...}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{\pi^{2}}{128}[/tex]

Combining all of the sums together gives a close approximation:

[tex]\sum_{n}\frac{1}{n^{2}} = \frac{21\pi^{2}}{128} \approx \frac{\pi^{2}}{6}[/tex]
 
If S is the sum over all n (even or odd) then (1/4)S is the sum over all evens. S-(1/4)S is then the sum over all odds which is pi^2/8. Solve for S.
 
Dick said:
If S is the sum over all n (even or odd) then (1/4)S is the sum over all evens. S-(1/4)S is then the sum over all odds which is pi^2/8. Solve for S.

EDIT: I see now. Duh! Thanks.
 
Last edited: