Estimating Total Weight of Rice: 100 Bags

• MHB
  • Thread starter Suvadip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the total weight of 100 bags is estimated to be 5000 kg based on the sample mean of 50 kg. The standard error of the estimate is 0.3 kg, indicating a margin of error in the estimate.
Suvadip
Q.
In order to estimate the total weight of rice of 100 bags, a sample of 25 bags was weighted, giving the average weight of 50 kg. If the population standard deviation is 1.5kg, estimate the total weight of 100 bags and find the standard error of the estimate. Sol:
Here sample mean is 50. So population mean is also 50. Therefore total weight of 100 bags is 50x100=5000.

Is my approach correct? How to find the standard error?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Your approach is correct. To find the standard error, you can use the formula: standard error = population standard deviation / √n, where n is the sample size. In this case, n=25, so the standard error would be 1.5 / √25 = 0.3 kg. This means that there is an expected margin of error of 0.3 kg in the estimate of the total weight of 100 bags.

Related to Estimating Total Weight of Rice: 100 Bags

What is the process for estimating the total weight of 100 bags of rice?

The process for estimating the total weight of 100 bags of rice involves first weighing a single bag of rice and then multiplying that weight by 100. It is important to ensure that the weight of the bag is subtracted from the total weight to get an accurate estimate.

How can I ensure that my estimate of the total weight of rice is accurate?

To ensure accuracy in your estimate, it is important to use a scale that is precise and calibrated. Also, make sure to subtract the weight of the bag from the total weight and use multiple bags to get an average weight for better accuracy.

What factors can affect the estimated weight of the rice?

The factors that can affect the estimated weight of the rice include variations in the weight of each individual bag, moisture content in the rice, and any debris or foreign objects mixed in with the rice.

Can I use any type of scale to estimate the weight of the rice?

No, it is important to use a scale that is specifically designed for measuring food items. This type of scale will have a higher precision and accuracy, which is crucial for estimating the weight of rice.

Is it necessary to weigh all 100 bags of rice individually?

No, it is not necessary to weigh all 100 bags individually. To save time and effort, you can weigh a sample of bags and use that average weight to estimate the total weight of the remaining bags.