1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eternal recurrence

1. May 8, 2003 #1
    Lectori salutem.

Can anyone refute the finite space/energy/matter in infinite time theory?

Finite space/energy/matter implies that the universe is not something endlessly extended, but set in a definite space as a definite force.

Infinite time implies that it has never begun to become and will never cease from passing away.

This means that the universe consist of a finite amount of energy (in whatever manifestation) that flows on in an infinite stream - not infinitely deep or wide, but infinitely long.

Thanks in advance!

Sauw

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2003 #2
    You should probably post this on the Philosophy board.

4. May 8, 2003 #3
    And why is that - is it beyond the grasp of physics?

5. May 8, 2003 #4
    So far all measurements show that net energy of universe is zero. Same for all other conserved values (charge, momentum, etc).

6. May 8, 2003 #5

Eh

Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

Volume?

7. May 8, 2003 #6
    Volume is not a conserved value.

8. May 8, 2003 #7
    Re: Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

Actually not even atoms.

9. May 8, 2003 #8

Eh

Oh, conserved. My bad.

10. May 8, 2003 #9

Eh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

Fields only then? Well, it was a pretty close guess, considering it was made thousands of years ago.

11. May 8, 2003 #10
    Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

I am not interested in "net" energy. Of course the net energy is zero: otherwise it should have a positive or negative charge in relation to something else. But I am talking about the whole universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook