Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eternal recurrence

1. May 8, 2003 #1
    Lectori salutem.

Can anyone refute the finite space/energy/matter in infinite time theory?

Finite space/energy/matter implies that the universe is not something endlessly extended, but set in a definite space as a definite force.

Infinite time implies that it has never begun to become and will never cease from passing away.

This means that the universe consist of a finite amount of energy (in whatever manifestation) that flows on in an infinite stream - not infinitely deep or wide, but infinitely long.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2003 #2
    You should probably post this on the Philosophy board.
  4. May 8, 2003 #3
    And why is that - is it beyond the grasp of physics?
  5. May 8, 2003 #4
    So far all measurements show that net energy of universe is zero. Same for all other conserved values (charge, momentum, etc).
  6. May 8, 2003 #5

Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

7. May 8, 2003 #6
    Volume is not a conserved value.
  8. May 8, 2003 #7
    Re: Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

Actually not even atoms.
  9. May 8, 2003 #8

Oh, conserved. My bad.
  10. May 8, 2003 #9

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

Fields only then? Well, it was a pretty close guess, considering it was made thousands of years ago.
  11. May 8, 2003 #10
    Re: Re: Eternal recurrence

I am not interested in "net" energy. Of course the net energy is zero: otherwise it should have a positive or negative charge in relation to something else. But I am talking about the whole universe.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?