1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler angles. Quantum Mechanics Question

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let

U = [itex]e^{iG_{3}\alpha}[/itex][itex]e^{iG_{2}\beta}[/itex][itex]e^{iG_{3}\gamma}[/itex]

where ( [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma [/itex] ) are the Eulerian angles. In order that U represent a rotation ( [itex] \alpha, \beta, \gamma [/itex] ) , what are the commutation rules satisfied by the [itex] G_{k} [/itex] ?? Relate G to the angular momentum operators.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I attached here the solution that i saw in my solution manual.. My question is how did he get

[itex]G_{i}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{J_{i}}{\hbar}[/itex]

I think it should be [itex]G_{i}[/itex] = [itex]{J_{i}}{\hbar}[/itex]

Can someone please help me understand that solution?? Thanks. Help much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    it should be one over h bar, and it is arisen from the commutation relations that result from infinitesimal rotations in 3 dimensional space. for more details please refer to advanced quantum mechanics texts as the proof is rather lengthy. i recommend reading:
    http://bohr.physics.berkeley.edu/classes/221/1011/notes/spinrot.pdf
    specifically page 4, equations 9 to 12.

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    hi there. i have been working on this problem recently, but i seem to have a slightly different answer to the one above. my working out led me to have a minus sign in the relation between G and J:

after taking the taylor expansion of the exponentials and relating the [itex]\epsilon^{2}[/itex] coefficients i got:

[itex]i^{2}G_{1}G_{2}-i^{2}G_{2}G_{1}=iG_{3}[/itex]
    so that [[itex]G_{2}, G_{1}[/itex]][itex]=iG_{3}[/itex]
    or [[itex]G_{1}, G_{2}[/itex]][itex] =-iG_{3}[/itex]

this gave me [[itex]G_{i}, G_{j}[/itex]][itex]=-i\epsilon_{ijk}G_{k}[/itex]

and hence i came up with the relation

[itex]G_{i}=-J_{i}/\hbar[/itex]

is this difference just some use of a different convention, or am i doing something wrong along the way??

cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted